The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 114, 115, 116 ... 121, 122, 123  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 1:12 pm    

You too Duncan. I think about ZBs and all my Z-buddys often. Time flys too fast for sure. Hope you are well? Keep pickin' ... one of theses days will figure it out.

I'm picking my Chuck McGill 67 still. Smile

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 3:35 pm    

Thanks, Russ. I’m glad that you have Chuck’s ZB. I miss him a lot. He was one of the kind people in a life that makes you want to be a better person.
Also, to Art, you have one of the prettiest ZBs I have seen

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2018 12:35 am     Zb D11/10 Wonder Steel.

Very Happy Very Happy Thanks Duncan, it was a pure luck purchase 4 me. I was looking at something in reverb.com, spun down hard, and saw the ZB. ONE look and I knew I had just found something special. ! ! The highly figured biidseye got me. Didn't understand the 9 strings on it, still don't. I am setting it up in my 5th wheel bedroom, and my new (to me),
SHO-BUD PROFESSIONAL D10 BARREL AND PULLER NEXT TO MY RECLINER IN LIVING AREA, LOL. THE BEST OF THE BEST THRU J.D. SHO-BUD AMP. Whoa! Very Happy
Happy Trails. CAA. ZB & SHO-BUD. SUCH TONE ! !
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 22 Apr 2018 11:22 pm     Zb D11/10 Closet Queen #024

Very Happy SKIP, DO YOU HAVE ANY MORE PICTURES OF OLD NUMBER
024. I GUESS IT IS A BAKERSFIELD. NOT LONG AFTER
TOM TOOK OVER AND MOVED IT ALL. ANY INFO APPRECIATED.
Whoa! Due to the recent Medical bad news, i
I IMAGINE IT WILL BE FOR SALE WITHIN A YEAR Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
But I hope their us a ZB KEEPER TYPE STARTING TO SAVE
FOR THIS SPECIAL ONE.
I JUMPED WHEN I SAW IT BY ERROR ON REVERB.COM.

DID NOT THINK IT WOULD LAST LING EVEN WITH $250. Shipping.
HAPPY TRAILS. FRIENDS. CAA. Very Happy
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 8:43 am    

Here you go, Art. These are the only other pics I grabbed off the ad. Beautiful guitar...

Art Beard

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 9:13 pm     Zb Steel Guitars

Very Happy Whoa! is it our fault that the sale is low? ? We wait til last MINUTE. to sell these great GUITARS. It is a bad market.
If we price.low 4 fast sale, we cut THE WHOLE whole ZB MARKET THROAT.! ! !. MY ZB D11/10, AS BEAUTIFUL AS IT IS AND PROPERLY SET UP SHOULD SELL FOR $3500).00. ! ! AT MINIMUM. WHAT DO THE REST OF U THINK ? ? CAA
Whoa! Shocked Crying or Very sad

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 9:49 am    

I don't know Art. But if my steel was $3500 when I was looking I would't have bought it. I'm happy they're cheap when I'm buying and sad when I'm selling I guess. Smile

Last edited by Russ Tkac on 25 Apr 2018 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Jett Boyd

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 12:49 pm    

New to the ZB family! I have a 3+1 ZB Custom Student model and it plays nice. More stiff than I prefer but better after some adjustments underneath.

The existing RKL lowers the E strings to D# and I wanted to add a RKR to raise the E’s to F. But the ZB changer has a single raise “finger” with a hex screw stop and this is currently set to raise E to F# for the C foot pedal.

Is there a secret to do a half step raise on the knee lever and keep the full step raise on the foot pedal? Is there an adjustable stop that needs to be added on the knee lever when I add it?

(On my Cougar 8-string it has a 3 raise/2 lower changer and there is a physical stop for the knee lever and the pull rod sets the pitch change.)

Art Beard

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 12:59 am     Zb D11/10 Wonder Steel.

Russ, i do not know if that is true of me too. I dont have any $ since ex cleaned my clock. BUT PEOPLE BUY EMMONS P/P ALL DAY 4 higher bucks.
I believe there is a spirtuality in the beauty of the wood. I KNOW THERE R THOSE THAT THINK I
HAVE BEEN IN AZ. SUN TOO LONG, LOL Laughing ,

The price difference is large. Each has it own tone from back then . Took me a long time to find n get my S/B. (13 years), But I got it, 1974 model.
The ZB IS THE SAME WAY BUT HALF THE PRICE.
LOVE YOU POSTS, AND THANKS 4 HELP OVER THE YEARS.
HAPPY TRAILS. CAA

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 5:04 am    

Enjoy the ZB Art. It does have great tone!

Jett Boyd

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 11:12 am    

Did my research here and online and now I understand the F lever on a ZB is a clever arrangement. I converted the hand drawn diagram to the following which may still be a little different than reality. Because of the location I doubt that there are many actual pictures of the F mechanism.

Benjamin Franz

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 3:03 pm    

That diagram looks spot on Jett.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 3:25 pm     ZB E-F lever

here's a pic of the factory "F" pull-rod from my SD-11 ZB. (I painted it black)

Sometimes people just run a 3rd rod from the F knee lever to the middle tuner hole. But I have found that this type of pull-rod gives a better, firmer feel. Also it is easier to balance the pull.

Jett Boyd

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 7:30 pm    

Thanks! I like that welded reinforcement on the vertical pull piece.

I made a knee lever from some aluminum but it’s too lightweight compared to the existing ZB lever. I’ve contacted Billy Knowles and he is checking his ZB parts for me.

I saw someone mention that there’s a modified pull rod yoke that eliminates the LH/RH turnbuckles. I’ll keep looking to see if I can find that again. Or I need to find some of those elusive turnbuckles!

I also saw someone comment that ZB’s are like old VW Bugs. They need a little TLC but are dependable because of their simplicity.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 9:45 pm     ZB knees

Billy Knowles has turnbuckles.
He can also make a yoke that eliminates the turnbuckles and has the adjustment at the knee lever end. Ask him about it.
Here's a pic...

Art Beard

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 5:58 am     Zb D11/10 Closet Queen

Very Happy "IT'S ONLY MONEY, IT WILL GO AWAY." CAA

Bob Reese

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 6:48 am     ZB Custom Serial number 190

Curious about what year this one was built and who might have owned it prior to me.
I am also looking for advice and approximate costs of having it updated to a more modern changer/ mechanisms.
There seems to be some timing issues with one string changing slightly before or after others. The underside is a mess with some ones added gizmos and gadgets.
I absolutely love the tone of this guitar!!
It is playable but could use some love.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 9:12 am    

My guess is 1970. A good tech can get it playing well so no need to replace it all. Greg Jones and Billy Knowles can get it playing well for you if you can't find a local repair person. How many knee levers does it have?

This was set up by Greg.

Bob Reese

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 10:46 am    

It has four factory knee levers and one home made contraption that you raise your knee to operate.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 12:24 pm    

Don't update it to a different changer Shocked

You'll ruin the tone Whoa!

Art Beard

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 8:04 pm     Zb D11/10 Wonder Steel

Very Happy Whoa! Very Happy AS A HEADS UP TO THE TRUE BELIEVERS. AS I AM DIEING I WILL ACCEPT OFFERS ON MY D11/10 , AS IS WITH 9 STRINGGS ON EACH NECK. I THINK IT IS A VERY BEAUTIFUL "CLOSET QUEEN." OUT OF WASH. STATE, ANY INFO APPRIECATED. THANKS
HAPPY TRAILS CAA

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 4 May 2018 12:12 pm    

Greg Jones handywork. Smile

Joe A. Camacho

Post  Posted 4 May 2018 2:25 pm    

Skip Edwards wrote:
I don't know, Art. Maybe Jim Palenscar? Joe Camacho in San Diego area (I think) and Joel Martin in LA both have ZB's. Maybe they have some ideas.
Meanwhile, here's a shot of Art's 11/10 for those who haven't seen it.
It's spectacular...

Hey Skip, yes I am still in San Diego. It's a shame to see the current prices on ZBs.

Art I'd be interested once you come up with a price.

Joe

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2018 7:19 am    

Hey Joe. Wow, typing that makes me think of a song, for some strange reason. How are you? Well, if you are looking into Art's prettiest ZB ever offered on the Forum, you will need to find a place to dispose of that old, broken down, blue/blonde ZB that I disgracefully dumped on you many years ago. I promise to give it refuge and palliative care during its final years.
In any event...Joe, I hope you are well and continue to be well. Have a beautiful day in SoCal.
Duncan

Bob Reese

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2018 3:03 pm     Refurbishing my ZB

Can someone make a recommendation on who might be able to go thru my ZB Custom and get it tuned up and operating like it should?
I have contacted Billy Knowles and he isn't able to do it.
I also sent a message to Greg Jones and haven't had a response from him.
I am located near Dallas so if there someone in this area it would be preferable. I dont mind shipping it is that's what it takes though.