The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1950’s pic of Gibson guitar factory
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2018 12:11 pm    

I would have loved to work in this factory when I was a teen watching historic guitars being made.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2018 3:10 am    

Great photo. Thanks! I bet the workers could have a cigarette and a coffee from time to time, and weren't under such duress like they seemingly are nowadays.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2018 7:32 am    

That would have been in Kalamazoo, Michigan.. I heard that Gibson has closed it's Nashville Plant, any truth to that?.......JH in va.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 7:57 am    

Not a great outlook..
http://variety.com/2018/biz/news/gibson-iconic-guitar-company-said-to-be-nearing-bankruptcy-1202704143/

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/music-business/article/20992105/gibson-running-out-of-time-rapidly

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 9:00 am    

Guitars are reportedly not selling like they used to and reports are the quality of the new Gibson's is not great.

Guitar Center isn't in any better shape than Gibson.

I have Cakewalk Sonar (and now also Studio One 3) and like all the other Sonar users we were blindsided by the abrupt and no advanced notice that it was shut down. We should have known something was coming as a week before that, Music Electronics and Recording GURU Craig Anderton, a Gibson "Vice President" was suddenly axed.

One bright light for Sonar. It has been purchased (they are finalizing the purchase) by a new cloud company, "BandLab". BandLab has also hired two ex Sonar employees and will continue with Sonar. It will be rebranded with a new name, "Cakewalk" and "Sonar" will not be used.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 10:34 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Guitars are reportedly not selling like they used to and reports are the quality of the new Gibson's is not great.

these two things are not the reason for the troubles. the owner who by the way bought the gibson company in 1986 when it was on the verge of bankruptcy.....when guitars were selling just fine and the quality was acceptable....made some terrible business decisions that caused this.

some creditors are not really interested in getting their money...they want the company....at a time when guitars are not selling like they were and quality is questionable?? why is that? because one of the greatest brand names in history is in play. new management... restructure...cost savings....quality improvement....easy to become profitable in this environment again if run correctly. gibsons are expensive....can anyone tell me a time when they were not???

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 1 May 2018 4:36 pm    

Follow up..
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-01/gibson-files-for-bankruptcy-with-deal-to-renew-guitar-business