The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  An ear for tuning is a God given talent!
Delbert Aldredge

Willis, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2005 4:45 am    

An ear is a terrible thing to waste...Forget the terminology guys! Just use Jeff's tuning chart then finalize with your "ear". The easiest way is to give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around.....no, no....sorry!...that's a different song...mmm, check your tuning by the chime method @ 12th fret. Listen to the sound "vibes" for example, chime string 4 & 8.... if you're on 442.5 the vibes will blend...got the idea (like using a tuning fork on a piano)? Haveing an "ear" for music is a God given talent! We all possess certain gifts...keep it in tune and enjoy your playing!

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2005 7:12 am    

your right Delbert, i hate tuning machines,give me a E and i go from there!!!
many can not hear it,and not their fault.
but just boggles my mind why,lead guitar not even close,and i say up or down. man i can hear it a mile away. Thank you Lord.
farris

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2005 8:37 am    

I don't think I have it.

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2005 7:31 pm    

I know I don't have IT.Oh yes I do,My Boss T.U.12.

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2005 7:59 pm    

Believe me.Having perfect pitch can be and is a pain in the neck. (I raised that up some)

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2005 8:10 pm    

Oh by the way.An outstandng steel player friend of mine for many years,Harley Brendel and i used to talk about that a lot.He also was born with perfect pitch and he had to learn to ignore things never sounding in tune.Said many times he would like to have a good ear,but not perfect pitch.I have probably said this before but it ain't what its cracked up to be.Nothing personal,but ever worked with a lead player usinng a fuzz tone?I used a fuzz tone many years ago on steel playing hard rock but as i have also said before we used the volume control knob to control the volume.Control is the key.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 12:52 am    

Does anyone have Jeff's chart written down?
A fo'bro wrote me asking for it, and I didn't write it down (I tend to use my ears, as they're handy, and the Korg is in the closet).

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 5:45 am    

Quote:
give me a E and i go from there!!

That's how we lived in the 60's, 70's and 80's when tuners were not available to the average schmuck like me... I don't have perfect pitch 'cause I need an E to get started. I do have relative pitch though, because once I have the E it's always been easy for me to go from there.

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 02 September 2005 at 06:48 AM.]

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 9:10 am    

Jeff's tuning charts are online at: http://jeffran.com/tuning/tuning.htm

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 9:37 am    

Thank you, Bobby.

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 12:10 pm    

I'm not sure what the original post had to do with "perfect" pitch, but since that's the discussion ..

Perfect pitch is very rare. Many people who "claim" to have perfect pitch often are only close. But none of that matters. Perfect pitch is a virtually useless commodity.

Relative pitch, which the large majority of good musicians have to varying degrees, is obviously extremely useful. A related talent but less common, is hearing the flow of harmony/resolution. Probably 1/3-1/2 of the players with some ability in relative pitch don't have this ability. The way you know this is to ask them what key a song is in. If the player doesn't have this ability, he will usually pick the key of the first or second chord of the song. If the song starts on the IV or V, he'll be wrong. A player with the ability to hear the flow of harmony and resolution will "hear" that the V chord is not resolved and know what the tonic (key) is.

This ability is not so critical for commerical music because the chords and harmony are relatively simple and the emphasis is on comping and harmonically simple riffs and solos, but orchestrators, arrangers, jazz musicians, etc. need that ability to be well developed.

------------------
[url=http://www.mightyfinemusic.com/jeff's_jazz.htm]Jeff's Jazz[/url]

[This message was edited by Jeff Lampert on 02 September 2005 at 01:20 PM.]

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 12:49 pm    

This is funny to me!!we were talking about tuning the guitar,now we are on X IVs Vs ect. hell i dont even know the Roman Numerals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! farris

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 1:57 am    

Jeff is right on, and not off topic at all.

The standard pitch for 'A' having moved around over time between 400 and 500 Hz (it was not that long ago when it was 438), the concept of 'perfect' pitch is questionable.
If Brubeck could say "This piano is a little sharp..." (and it was, by 2 cents), is that perfect pitch? No, but his ability and experience shows great relative pitch.

Ear training is very useful; you can train someone to follow progressions numerically (I have), and you can tell when they 'get it.'

Heiko Aehle

Bretleben GERMANY
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2005 2:20 pm    

I think if you listen much and often to steel guitar music over a few years, your ear is a good master. If I listen to music I played 10 years ago I always wondering that I didn't hear it better in the past and now I hear the mistakes. The years makes your ear better if you listen closely to the music is my opinion. What makes me crazy is that Lloyd Green sounds back in the 60's as good as today and I never heard any out of tune things. Really, that makes me crazy.