The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 copedents?
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 8:23 pm    

in conjunction with my thread about knee levers, I wanted to open a discussion about everyone's C6 setup. how many changes do you have and what are they? what does each change do for you? I'd like to compare with my own.

several years ago, I switched my change on pedal 4 to raise my E's to F. I never had much use for the standard A to B change, though sometimes I wonder what I'm missing. I recently watched video of a workshop Buddy Emmons did in England I believe, and he said he also raised his E's to F with pedal 4. that made me feel better Smile

another fairly recent change that I now can't live without raises my C's to D on LKR. my LKL raises A's to Bb, though I keep it disengaged on string 8 most of the time. LKV lowers A to Ab on string 4. my right knee levers are pretty standard, raising C's to C# on RKR and lowering string 3 a half step on RKL.

I also keep a high G on top, which I know prevents me from being able to play a lot of stuff but I just really like that G up there for various tunes I tend to play.

here's a chart

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 10:37 pm    

Scott, my C6 set up on my 8/4 Emmons P/P is really stock, I keep the G on top and I lower string 3 a half step with RKL and raise the 4th string with RKR. I was wondering if your change on RKR that raises your C's on the 3d and 7th string a half step on your C6 neck also works on your E9 neck lowering the 2nd string from D# to D and C# and your 9th string to C#?

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 11:23 pm    

hey Bob-
on E9 I'm raising 1 & 7 with RKR and lowering 2 & 9 with RKL

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 6:54 am    

Scott, I'm using a cross between Buck Reid's and Doug Jenigan's C6 setups! As you know the D on top opens a lot of voicings for chords, negating the need for you LKR.
Buck's 4th pedal combines DJ's reverse P6 and 10th string raise to give an open 2m. And lowering 6th string to D(care of DJ)lowers 7b to 6 with P6. Works for me! YMMV

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 11:58 am    

thanks for sharing John.
I find it fascinating how personalized our copedents become and how we'll use a different configuration than someone else to arrive at basically the same change. seems we've all got something a little different "under the hood"

you mentioned my LKR, I actually use the raise on string 7 more than string 3. great for different chord voicings as well as single note stuff, but dropping string 6 a whole step makes sense too. options!

it's hard to argue with Doug or Buck, but even they to have a unique setup from one another.

I've been playing this setup for awhile now, I feel good about it. my change on LKV is the most recent addition, inspired by a passage Buddy plays in Here's That Rainy Day, where he walks from a min to a min∆ to min7 which flows effortlessly to the 5 chord with pedal 5.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 3:36 pm    

Scott, I'm pretty much a newbie, having played for about 6 years, but with life intruding regularly on my practice time! My copedent is pretty much like Buddy E's as shown in the links here on the forum, except I've moved pedal 5 to LKR, and moved the 4th string raise which Buddy has on the lever, to LKL, and his change on LKL (the lower on 4) went to a LKV. Pedal 5 on a knee is not my idea - I learned about it from Lane Gray. What it does it eliminate double-footing with the most common situations. And for me, it improves my success rate at finding the right pedal on the fly since I only have 4 for each neck now.

While this idea might not suit many experienced players, I think it is a solid option for those first starting on C6.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 5:20 am    

Douglas, FWIW, I use all 5 of my kls with p5, so you must be losing something with p5 on a kl?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 6:02 am    

I think some players do that to eliminate two-footing P5 & P7.