The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Respect
Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 4:27 pm    

How many years has pedal steel guitar been around in its current form...??

How many of you still get mistaken for a keyboard player..??

The photo below is in this month's issue of Mix Magazine....a leading trade mag among recording industry professionals. If industry professionals still don't know who we are.....then what will it take to gain that respect..??

Years ago my grandfather was making a left turn in his driveway and a car passed him as he was turning...thus causing an accident. His reply to the deputy was, "You would think after living here for 40 years folks would know where I was going."

You would think after 70 years of existence, the music industry and its fans would know what instrument we play. Crying or Very sad

Joe Rogers

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 4:46 pm    

That doesn't look like a keyboard to me. Isn't that one of those slide guitar things?

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 5:58 pm    

I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for the respect.

While it is totally embarrassing that an industry rag would screw that up, consider this:

Think about all the times someone came to one of your shows, had no idea what that “thing “ you played was, but were knocked out by the sound. That special voice that no other instrument has. Maybe you took a minute to answer a few questions, and they found a new “favorite sound”. Maybe some one from the audience was so impressed, they approached you and wanted to know what it was and how it works. There’s also an upside to playing an obscure instrument.

legitimate respect earned from a live audience. That’s cool , isn’t it ?

Igor Fiksman

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 6:12 pm    

Just last weekend a soundguy said "ready for keyboard" when he got around to me during sound check. You could almost see the rest of the band tense up and stare at me for a response. I didn't realize I'm that terrifying...😂. The soundguy quickly corrected himself, I mean " steel pedal". I didn't bother saying anything.

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 6:19 pm    

Steve,

Point well taken and spoken with eloquence. I wrestled in my mind with the title....I do know that steel players are salesmen who constantly have to sell the listening public on the virtues of our instrument every time we play it.

I think what is even more embarrassing about this particular issue of Mix Magazine is that 3/4 of this particular issue is focused on Nashville....studios, recording techniques, stories of how a legendary album was made. Maybe it is not music industry professionals who do not know our instrument....but rather journalists. Laughing

Oh by the way, my grandfather was a character and very much joking when he made that remark to the deputy.

Thanks for your input...!!

Joe Rogers

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 6:50 pm    

Keep the faith, we were in a recent issue of Vortex mag, and it also featured another local steel player Bryan Daste.
This is at our once-a-month Noon-2pm Sat gig!
[/img]

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 7:08 pm    

I was asked, not that long ago, as to what kind of computer I was playing. The party was very sincere as to how I got all my those sounds so easily. Was it something new on the market? I was literally quite speechless and said, that, it was a guitar and left it at that.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 7:17 pm    

One time two guys came up to the bandstand and one guy said to me “You play good keyboard”. His friend said “You idiot... that’s a synthesizer!”

I’ve heard it called a string guitar, iron guitar, slide, steel pedal, table guitar...

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 7:30 pm    

Igor Fiksman wrote:
The soundguy quickly corrected himself, I mean " steel pedal". I didn't bother saying anything.

I'm afraid I would likely have corrected him, telling him it's a "pedal steel". Then I would have immediately regretted it and worried all night about how he could make me sound like shit all night with the mere flick of his wrist... Some battles are not worth fighting, at least not with some people!

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 7:39 pm    

You guys are cracking me up.....Love it...!!

Jim, something to ponder...in your opinion what would be the sound engineer's most deviant retaliation.....making you sound like crap all night....or turning you off completely in the house all night...?? .....and of course.....turning up the electric guitar player extra loud....

Hahahahaaa!!!

Joe Rogers

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 7:48 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
One time two guys came up to the bandstand and one guy said to me “You play good keyboard”. His friend said “You idiot... that’s a synthesizer!”

Laughing Funny, funny!

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 8:05 pm    

Igor Fiksman wrote:
. . I didn't bother saying anything. .

Could've let him know that when he was
done checking you, he could move on to
'Kit Drum' then 'Guitar Acoustic', oh,
and don't forget 'Bass Upright'!
~Rw Confused

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 8:06 pm    

One time when I was at a rehearsal in a private home, the pizza delivery guy asked "What is that thing, a sitar or something?" At least he knew it had strings on it.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 8:44 pm    

My own band mate once asked me, live on the bandstand in front of an audience, “Is it pedal steel or petal steel?” After sufficient pause, I gave him the look.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 10:08 pm    

I had a lady come up to me at a dance one night and asked "is that a zither", I responded "amazing isn't it"! I think she thought she won the $64,000., question!

Last edited by john buffington on 24 Apr 2018 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2018 10:09 pm    

25 years ago, I had a gray haired lady look over the railing that obscured the audience's view of my steel, and ask, "Is that a synthesizer?" I would have expected folks would have at least learned what a synth is by now.

In their defense, the audience view of a PSG doesn't show much of what is going on; they may not even see the strings, edge on. At least a third of them would not understand the difference between a guitar and a bass guitar. (I've asked.)

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 1:30 am    

I will almost guarantee that the editor has called out the staff writer for the HUGE error. This is a Business RAG , not a dance with people not in the know.

This makes the RAG look really foolish. it makes the staff writer look like a complete moron.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 2:55 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:

I’ve heard it called a string guitar, iron guitar, slide, steel pedal, table guitar...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 4:05 am    

The most common description I hear of my pedal steel at gigs is a zither. Obviously some people have never seen either instrument before. Whoa!
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 5:21 am    

I can understand why some would call it a keyboard. The pedal steel is one of the many voices a keyboard may have, and some can do an ok, but limited, job playing "pedal steel" on their keyboard.
In fact, I wrote a tune on my keyboard featuring the "pedal steel" which is what made me decide to learn to play the real thing. I don't look back.

.........Pat

Last edited by Pat Chong on 25 Apr 2018 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 6:08 am    

Played lead guitar & pedal steel at a restaurant last weekend. Little boy was watching the band set up, finally got the nerve to approach me and ask if that was a piano. I said no, it's actually a very special kind of guitar. His eyes got big - "a guitar??" So I told him it's a pedal steel guitar & showed him the strings on both instruments and how they are played differently. Then he walked over to his mom and said, "I wanna play drums!!"

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 6:36 am    

Quote:
...and the old guy was playin' one of them double-decker table slides! It was either one of them Sho~Boats or an Emmison.

In truth, we're not alone in this:

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 6:55 am    

What kind of cheese is that guy on the right slicing?

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 7:00 am    

Last summer I played an afternoon gig, family deal. A couple of youngsters came up to the bandstand to have a look at the thing making "that sound." One of them, a young lady of about 11 years, was staring, eyes as wide as saucers. At our break she approached and asked, "WHAT IS THAT?"

To say I was delighted would be an understatement. I showed her the steel, answered her questions, asked about her own musical interests. Our little chat went on for 10 minutes. It was a singular experience.

I'll leave it to her and other inquisitive youngsters to educate their peers. Nothing I can do will enlighten industry professionals. Most folks still won't get it, but for the few that do... "ahhh, pedal steel guitar, that sound."

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 7:25 am    

When people ask me what I'm playing, I say it is a product of genetic engineering: it's a combination Singer sewing machine and cheese slicer. Whoa!