The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dekley Ext.E9 to UNI conversion
Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 8:19 am    

I have a Dekley SD12 that is setup Ext. E9 with 5 and 5. I’m really missing the 6th stuff so I am pretty sure I want to convert it to the Universal tuning.
Is 5 and 5 going to be enough? I’ve been looking at the tunings in the tunings section and see that they are almost all 8 pedals….I have a space for one more pedal on the pedal rack, and have the pedal for it, but will need everything else.
I noticed Joe "Mac" McHam has 6 pedals….the same with Danny Naccarato, and Lee Baucum has 7 pedals.

Jim Smith, are you still out there? If you are, is this a major thing I want to do?

Thanks for any and all help….I can really use it.

Jay

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 10:27 am    

To duplicate a standard 6th neck, most universals drop the 4th pedal (it duplicates E9 stuff), but have the equivalent of pedals 5,6,7, and 8. But the equivalent of pedal 6 is on the lever that lowers the middle E to D (to replace the missing D string) So Six pedals is the minimum needed to duplicate the essentials of a D10. Many unis add one to three more pedals to get something extra on one or both of the modes. Also, because one lever has to replace the missing D string, and because the right knee levers have to go to one or the other mode, not both as on some D10s, you need all the levers you can get. I consider 5 levers essential.

On the other hand, you can do a lot of stuff in the B6 mode playing it like a lap steel with few or no pedals or levers used. I have an Extended E9 Emmons p/p 3$4 that I have never gotten around to adding additional pedals to. I tune it as a uni. The lever that lowers my middle E to a D in E9 mode does double duty by acting as pedal 6 of C6. This pedal or knee takes you from the I chord to the IV7. In the 6th mode it is equivalent to using the A&B pedals of E9. You can play a lot of 6th neck swing playing it like a lap steel with just this one change.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 12:16 pm    

Hi Jay, Bud Carter has a E9/B6 tuning on the carter website with 5 pedals and 5 knee levers and it works real well, he gets it all. the E to F# on the C pedal he puts on a knee and doesn't need the C pedal.
...check it out...al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 4:04 am    

Yeah, Al's got that one right, I put Buds tuning on an old BMI S-12 & it worked great, It had just about everything you needed to get the 6th stuff with. You do have to sacrifice your 3rd E9th pedal but the E to F# lever takes care of that by using it with A&B pedals. I would not hesitate to use this tuning at all. Its great. Oh, one other thing, you don't even need triple raise to do this, it can be done on double raise changers.

Ernie Pollock

------------------

Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 1:01 pm    

I've got Bud's 5+5 Universal tuning on my guitar. I can't really compare it to a standard C6 or B6, since I've never played one for any great length of time, but I will say that it works for me, and that I've been able to play almost all the C6 tab I've ever come across.

I might change up the knee lever positions to ones that suit me better (F lever on the RKR, for example), but other than that it seems to work just fine. I've dropped the E>F# lever and changed it to a G#>G lever, which I find more useful, and I imagine that if you're willing to sacrifice your "C pedal" you could use that remaining lever for any experimental changes you want to try.

-Travis

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 1:58 pm    

I started with 5x7, and improved it to a 5x5...somewhat based on the Carter 5x5 approach. I have NO desire to go back to 5x7.