The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Randy Scruggs RIP
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 10:50 am    

Randy Scruggs, Grammy-winning guitarist and producer, dead at 64

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2018/04/18/randy-scruggs-grammy-winning-guitarist-and-producer-dead-64/529111002/

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 11:06 am    

Very sad, he's roughly my age. And a great talent, managing to step out of the shadow of his father. Got to see him and Gary with the Earl Scruggs Revue many, many moons ago. And Wikipedia never even mentions his guitar playing on Roseanne Cash's version of Tennessee Flat Top Box. Textbook. RIP.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 12:23 pm    

Randy would have been forumite Chris Scruggs uncle, I believe.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 3:51 am    

That's true Bill. RIP Randy Scruggs.

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2018 1:45 am    

Sad to hear that. My condolences go out to the family.

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria

Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 8:42 am     Very big loss

I will miss him greatly

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 1:38 pm    

As mentioned above by Dave, Randy was my age as well. So when I heard the news last week it hit me pretty hard.

I followed his career over the decades and he was a great example of how the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. He was extraordinarily dedicated and talented like his father and brothers, and had the business acumen of his mother.

Link below to the best article I've read since his passing, and below are the words of his friend Jerry Douglas that opens the piece.

Quote:
"Randy was a quiet man with an encyclopedia of music as his guide," said friend and collaborator Jerry Douglas. "Blessed to be one of the sons of musical giant Earl Scruggs and ground- and glass-ceiling-breaking business manager Louise Scruggs, he was a wise and generous producer and a brilliant session guitarist. His catalog of successes will boggle those who are willing to follow the long and impressive line he accomplished. I will miss his calm and grace as a man of the studios of our town."

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2018/04/18/randy-scruggs-earl-scruggs-son-acclaimed-guitarist-and-producer-dead-64/977640001/

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2018 2:04 pm    

Exactly my age as well. I still remember listening to the Will the Circle album endlessly when I was 18 and a freshman in college. My condolences to Chris and the Scruggs family whose influence on american music, if not the world, is immeasurable.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2018 12:07 am    

Obviously people in the business have lost a great talent and personal friend. Condolences to them and Scruggs family.

I remembering seeing him in Waylon Jennings’ band, playing acoustic rhythm guitar. I was shocked at first to see such a great player performing what I always thought of as a service job, until I actually listened to what he was doing. There really is an art to the strum, and he was doing it masterfully. Without it, Waylon’s rhythm section would have been missing some backbone. I learned a lot from him at that concert, and never took my rhythm guitar playing for granted again.

So long, Randy, and thanks for the music lesson!