The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newer Excell with 5th string return problems HELP!!!
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2018 6:05 pm    

I have a student who just bought a newer style Excel, possibly a model from the 1990's. D 10 8x4.
I got it tuned up pretty good except for the 5th string. When stepping on the A pedal string goes to C# as usual. But when releasing the pedal, the string slowly declines in pitch back to the B note.
Any ideas what is causing this? I thought at first it could be the 5th string return spring not working correctly.
I've played an Emmons push pull for years now and haven't looked at an all pull for quite some time, so I'm rusty on the specific problems with all pulls.

Also having trouble getting the 4th string to raise to the F# note with the C pedal. I turn the nylon tuner and it starts to raise the open E 4th string. The 5th string with the C pedal does the same thing as the A pedal does, goes right to the C# note, but slowly declines in pitch when pedal is released.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks...

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2018 7:58 pm     Newer Excell with 5th string return problem HELP!!!

Since the 5th string is being affected by 2 separate pulls, A pedal and C pedal.
5th string problem. (Have you or the student oiled the changer?) Your description points to drag in the 5th changer finger. Turn the guitar over, Block up till the strings can be picked. pull the A pedal check all the linkage and how quickly the changer finger goes back to B note. Take a screwdriver and shove on the lever to go back faster. Then repeat the pull with the C pedal, Try the screwdriver to speed it up too. Check the linkage and cross rods too. There is a chance both cross rod bearings are dragging. If between Cleaning, Lubing and forcing it back to get it working. The changer may have to be tore down by a good tech, If the finger is dragging, 20 years of age and not lubed right may be the cause.

4th string. Needs more travel. Move the C pedal 4th string pull rod out 1 hole or slot at a time on the bell crank farther from the cross rod, Check till you get the travel needed. Check stops, May need adjusted to allow more movement. Good luck on finding and curing the problems, Happy Steelin.

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2018 9:09 pm    

Hey Bobby thanks for the reply.
Steel undercarriage plus changer has oil. Not that much but as I was messing around with it upside down, I got slight oil stains on my fingers.
With guitar sitting on left side end, I did pick the 5th string and simply used my finger to push the bell crank of the 5th string back, it went right back by pushing on it, no resistance felt while I pushed it back.
The linkage and rods are all straight,nothing binding at the rods.
The A pedal works good enough for the point of a beginner, but it would bug a regular picker. Still, need to get this fixed. Next lesson, I'll try and work on it some more.

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2018 4:17 am    

I would check and see if the cross shafts may be binding somehow. To test this, disconnect the pull rods from the bell cranks and see if there is any friction with the cross shaft. Maybe that lubrication is required depending on the type of cross shaft used.

Hope this helps.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet