The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marlen D-10
Steven Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 7:00 am    

I have a friend, whose husband passed away the other year. He owned a Marlen Steel and I recently went to look at it. The serial number is 588791, so I believe it was made in 1978. She said he was the only owner. He only played it at home. I do not have a lot of knowledge about pedal steel mechanics, but from the pictures I was told it is an all-pull. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me anymore information and possibly have an idea of the value of this instrument?

Thanks.

[/img]

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 8:26 am    

An all pull marlen D10 in that condition is not very common, and is very desirable...
As far as price, it depends on what a likely buyer will pay.. Very simplistic, but thats the way it is.
Marlen is a better made steel than say a Bud of the same age, but a Bud is more popular and sells higher ..
If I had that guitar here to sell, I would start at around $2200 + shipping, but it may not go fast... I think it will sell in a reasonable time frame at around $1800 or so, maybe $2K.. Its a gorgeous guitar... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Steven Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2018 8:15 am    

Thanks for the feedback Bob. Smile

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 3:42 pm    

I'm curious about this guitar. Really pretty finish and it's a piece of local history. Built just up the road. Can anyone tell what pickups might be on this? Are parts available? How heavy? Any shared parts with Emmons? (the other local ex-manufacturer just down the road) Inquiring minds wanna know.
adTHANKSvance,
Bob

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 7:03 pm    

Bob's assessment is spot on.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 7:37 pm    

the E9 pickup looks like a TrueTone pickup made my Jerry Wallace. NO the parts are all made by Marlen; not emmons or shobud or anybody else...they all took lessons from Leonard Stadler and Marvin in the 60's...ah..ha.
the C6 pickup looks original "marlen made".
Regular Weight...like many other pedal steels.
I believe Leonard's son Lenny is still around and has many of the later parts that go on the "all-pull Marlen's" like this one.
Clyde; do you have (isn't his name Lenny??) Leonard's son's email/contact/info??? I lost if 3 computers ago..ha.
Ricky

Steven Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2018 8:18 am    

Thanks for all the comments. Ricky. I am 99% sure you are correct about the C6 pick up. My dad, Marvin, continued to wind pick ups in his shop for Leonard until the 80's. This guitar was owned by a close friend of dad's, so I am sure he helped him pick it out.
Quote:
they all took lessons from Leonard Stadler and Marvin in the 60's...ah..ha.

Yes, I remember as a young kid, when they started building steels in the shop behind our house in Greensboro, Ron Lashley used to stop by quite often to see what was happening. Very Happy
Lenny passed away a few years ago from cancer. I wish I knew if anyone had a stash of parts. I would love to just have a few nameplates for keepsakes.
I will speak to the owner this weekend to see what they would like to do.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2018 3:46 pm    

Steven; Marvin was your Dad?? OMG. And Lenny passed away from Cancer?? Good Lord.... Sad ; Well he is back with his Dad Leonard.... RIP...God Bless.

Steven Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2018 5:00 pm    

Yes, he was my dad. I usually just hang around and read, but needed to post for this steel. I grew up listening to the steel from the day I was born, but ended up learning to play drums. I love the sound and voicing of a steel and still think its the best for instrumentals. It will always be part of me. I have a 6 string lap now and I am learning and enjoying it. I know Leonard tried to produce a quality product and it shows. The Stadler family were wonderful people. The knowledge on this website is awesome. I also remember going to hear Clyde play many times with his band. He is an awesome musician. Thank you to all.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 4:40 pm    

Steven, thanks for the nice words. Your dad was a hero of mine. He was the first that I heard that could play like the big boys. I have his old pickup winder that he sold me. Ricky, for any info on any Marlen parts that may be still available, I'd contact Ken Latchum or Arnett Mills. Worth a try.

Steven Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2018 6:46 am    

Thank you to all for your thoughts and comments. One last thing. I have seen that there is a Day and Emmons set up. Can anyone tell from these photos how this guitar is set up? If not, can anyone describe to me what to look for and I will go visit again to find out. I will be ready to post soon. Thanks in advance.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 May 2018 7:04 am    

Hi Steven. It would appear from looking at the photos that the 1st or left most floor pedal cross shaft has the 4th and 5th string bell cranks right next to each other for raising 4, E to F# and 5, B to C# which would indicate Day setup.

The cranks for pedal 3 are much further apart and appear to be working on strings 5 and 10, another indication.

That's a gorgeous instrument and I bet it has that wonderful tone that Marlen guitars are famous for.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2018 4:35 pm    

Thanks Clyde; good to know....YOU'DA MAN!!!
--------------
OH and dangit; Steven, I just remembered> I think(sorry I landed on my memory 3 years ago..ha) Leonard told me back when I asked him: "when did you come out with the "All-Pull" Fingers?" and I'm pretty sure I remember him saying RIGHT THEN...1978. This probably has the first all pull changer him and your dad came out with; which INDEED had a Patent on it. Leonard had the fist Patent on the Changer mechanism in the Biz I believe.
So this is an Incredible Marlen you have for sale; and I would buy it immediately if I was not a full time musician and had any kind of money..ha.
Awesome bro.
Ricky

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 4:01 pm     Convert from Day setup

Can anyone say if this guitar could be converted to Emmons from Day using existing undercarriage parts?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 4:14 pm    

Quote:
Can anyone say if this guitar could be converted to Emmons from Day using existing undercarriage parts?

yes Bob; very easy, using existing parts; as it's just like any other all pull pedal steel...>
Take rods out...loosen pullers....re position pullers...rods back in ..and reset stops...
Ricky

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 6:13 pm     thanks

I appreciate it Ricky. I have learned a lot from your posts.

Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2018 6:52 am     Wonderful PSG

This beauty has been staying at my house for the last week or so. What a great playing guitar with tone to the bone. It sounds every bit as good as my playing will allow. Wish I could have done more with it, but being a very different copedant with Day setup pretty much confined me to mashing A and B. Any other moves were done very..... slowly.....It looks like it is on the way to a new home before too long. I will miss it. The force is strong with this one. It is also HEAVY compared to a Carter, but it stays put.

I'm curious about one of the knee levers (LKR) which was mounted about even with the 12th fret. Looks like it was to make combining it with some of the right hand pedals easier. It only worked on C6 neck and I'm C6 challenged for sure. Is it common to put a knee lever in the middle?