The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Value of this “Travis” custom S-12 5/5
Alan McBride

Tahlequah, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 4:24 pm    

Trying to determine what to ask for this custom built S-12 5/5
New strings , cleaned changer, and nut, sounds awesome, lots of sustain. I was told this one was built by Travis Dean Reed in Muskogee, Oklahoma. I understand he wrapped his own pick ups as he built several psg. It is set up as an ext 9 right now and I estimate it’s over 20 years of age.
Any help you could give me would be appreciated as I have a new Zum ordered and will be raising the funds to purchase.

Thanks for your time and assistance,
Pastor Alan

Ps. Sorry about the foot in the pics, lol

PICTURES:

Alan McBride

Tahlequah, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 5:29 pm    

Tell me what you think, you will not hurt my feelings or surprise me!
I found it in my dads back room in muskogeee covered with dust.
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 5:59 pm    

Did the builder spend more time making the "Travis" logo than on the rest of the guitar?

Alan McBride

Tahlequah, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 6:01 pm    

Tell me what you think, you will not hurt my feelings or surprise me!
I found it in my dads back room in muskogeee covered with dust.
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Alan McBride

Tahlequah, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 6:02 pm    

Ernest that may be the case, I just don’t know!

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 8:24 pm    

It looks heavy. It's an odd ball. Is there a case that goes with it. I think you'd be lucky to get $500.

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2018 12:18 am     Travis sreel

Golly,where were U when I wanted my 1st steel in 1968 Paul,? ? LOL CAA
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Alan McBride

Tahlequah, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2018 1:29 am    

Thanks Paul, oddball indeed, it’s not real heavy, I would guess around 40 to 50 lbs., and no case that I could find.
I was told by some others that knew Mr. Reed, may God rest his soul, that he crafted almost all his own parts by hand using simple tools, and I can see that he did. Undoubting that many hours of work when in to this custom one of a kind Steel. Lol, I got 20 hours in it just cleaning and restringing. Plan on tuning pedals and knee levers today if I can. 1st 3 pedals are basic emmons set up and rkl’s drop and raise the e’s. Not sure on the lkl’s or the lkv yet. The other pedals I’m not sure of yet either, working on in spare time. It’s a challenge really.

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2018 2:35 am     Travis steel

Very Happy many instruments have been made over the years that were never know due to business failure, etc. Many good many poor. People casting parts in the 60-80's were thinking long term, cheaper way.
I have a BASS, 12 string (3 per string stringing), hand built. The company only makes 25 guitars of each, they think up.! THEY R NOT IN IT 4 THE MONEY. JUST THE FUN. IT IS AMERICAN MADE HOLLOW BODY!, 12 STRING. WOWEE. DON'T ALWAYS JUDGE WITH OUT PLAYING. TRY AS A 10 STRING if s10 us the way u plan to go. CAA
KNEW,A SINGER THAT FILLED IN FOR WAYLON BEFORE HE HIT THE ROAD. People wanted to hear LONNIE more than Waylon. ! VOICE CRACKED OUT FROM DRUGS N BOOZE, HE COULD NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. DIED WORKING CEMENT FACTORY IN NEB. CAA
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2018 9:36 am    

Its crude but really cool.. Why not get it up and running, and enjoy it as the unique and interesting instrument it is??. Got a lot of changes with 6 and 4, and it might have a fantastic sound. If it were mine, I would hang on to it, unless I was desperate for the $500-600 it would bring... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Alan McBride

Tahlequah, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2018 10:11 am    

Thanks Bob, all I need to do is tune the pedals and levers and it will be in good working order. it actually had 6 kl’s, Lkv went to a rod that went up through the body and came up and made a loop beside the 4th string tuner on the headstock, just moving up and down, I have no idea what it did.
It plays and sounds pretty good with the SIT stainless strings, has a slight hum, not sure if it’s the old amp I’m using or the guitar it’s self. I know I need a heavier bar as it seems like I need to apply quite a bit of pressure to clean up the tone.
Thanks again, you and Paul were right where I was thinking in value.
I’m going to list it for sale soon on the forum here and maybe get it sold.
So anyone interested in purchasing you can PM me here. If sold here I will make a donation to this forum. Be Blest!

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2018 7:07 pm    

If you price it in that range, it will be sold pretty quickly, and someone will get it all fixed up to play it regularly.. Thats a good thing, and what a pretty neat old instrument deserves... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......