The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who can do a proper recone on a JBL K120?
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 6:25 pm    

Missing my JBL....who does the best recone? I realize the original kits are not available...

Thanks

Dave

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 7:43 pm    

I gotta a guy in Austin I use. His company is called Mustang Speakers. He is not much of an internet guy though.
Reconing is not so hard to do. I'm sure you can find a great local guy near you. Check with old Grateful Dead techs. They where all about those JBL's.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 9:04 pm    

A company named MacKenzie is building recone kits that people say are just like the original JBL's and other vintage kits. They offer DIY kits and instructions if one feels up to the challenge. http://reconekits.com/search.aspx?find=jbl+k120%3d8

I've no personal experience with this company, but I understand the head recone dude from the former Orange County Speaker took up where they left off and began a reconing operation in Garden Grove Ca.
Might check them out here: http://www.speakerrepairpros.com/

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 18 Apr 2018 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 5:14 am    

Glenn at Wesley Audio did a quality recone of a pair of D120F's for me. You may want to decide whether you want cloth surrounds or paper. Cloth was used after the original D120 series. Most orange D120F's were cloth and they probably have a longer lifetime.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/wesley-audio-gray
http://wesleyaudio.com/

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 5:56 am    

let us know how the recone goes. back in the 60s if you had a jbl speaker in your fender amp....you were royalty!! jbl and the white frame altecs.....the best sounds i ever got for bass and underarm guitars.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 6:21 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
I gotta a guy in Austin I use. His company is called Mustang Speakers. He is not much of an internet guy though.

If this is the same guy who used to have a storefront on Anderson Lane, I've had several speaker repairs done by him and his work is top-notch. His web page is out of date -- Austin Vintage Guitars moved to Red River St. a couple of years ago. Not that it matters....

--Al Evans

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 6:22 am    

Woody Woodell at Benchcraft Electronics somewhere around Goodlettsville Tn. used to be the go to guy for quality JBL reconing, but someone has intimated that he may no longer be in business. Perhaps someone in the area will know.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 7:00 am    

Al Evans wrote:
Bob Hoffnar wrote:

If this is the same guy who used to have a storefront on Anderson Lane, I've had several speaker repairs done by him and his work is top-notch. His web page is out of date -- Austin Vintage Guitars moved to Red River St. a couple of years ago. Not that it matters....

--Al Evans

His name is Ken and he does a bunch of work for Austin Vintage and everybody else around town. He is a bit of a legend. Quite a caricature.

I'm just thinking the shipping would be expensive and might not be worth the trouble.
Dave, Get in touch and I'll send you his info if you want. Ken does great work.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 7:50 am    

Go the www.soundspeakerrepair.com and get a recone kit and do it yourself, it's not rocket science.
I've done a couple JBLs and it's really not a big deal. Very Happy
Erv

Last edited by Erv Niehaus on 18 Apr 2018 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 7:52 am    

Thanks guys! Very Happy

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 10:50 am    

Try Tone Tubby.

They can also do a hemp cone.

https://tonetubby.com/faq/

And they're in Calif too.

Artists who have used Tone Tubby

Carlos Santana * Eric Clapton * Trey Anastasio * Jimmy Herring * Dave Schools * Widespread Panic * Hard Working Americans * Zac Brown * The Black Keys * Myles Kennedy * Bernie Chiaravalle * Lucas Film * Mesa Boogie * Neil Young * Huey Lewis and The News * Robert Cray * Grateful Dead * Hank Williams Jr. * Elvin Bishop * Sammy Hagar * Metallica * Pearl Jam * Bananas * Zero* Different Fur Recording (S.F.) * Hyde Street Studio (S.F.) * Cola * Prairie Sun Recording * Jefferson Starship * Keith Richards * The Rolling Stones * Foreigner * Marty Balin Band * Journey * R E M* Fabulous Thunderbirds * Boz Scaggs * The Beach Boys * KSAN FM * Ronnie Montrose * Steve Morse * The Fillmore * Saul Zaentz Films * Fantasy Studios * Norton Buffalo * Guitar Center * K V H W * Vinyl * Narada Michael Walden * Tarpan Studios * S.F.Exploritorium * The Tubes* Leo’s Music * Last Day Saloon * Blumfield Theaters * Tom Waites* Landmark Theaters * Pacific Theaters * Music Spectrum * Bobby Vega* Phoenix Theater * Laughing Tiger Studios * San Francisco Ballet * Speaker Center * Steve Kimock * Hornblower Yachts * New Georges * Dolby Laboratories * Skywalker Ranch * Steve Miller * Budda Amplification* I L M /Industrial Light and Magic * Stroke 9 * Mark Isham * Van Morrison * Sly and the Family Stone * David Grisman * Enterprise Studios / Burbank * Paramount Pictures * Quicksilver Messenger Service * Eddie Money * Tony Saunders * Chris Isaac * Mickey Hart * Buck Owens Productions * Van Halen * Timmy * Robin Trower * Byron Hori * Matt Beal * Adam Lee (UK) * Alex Anthony * Andy Lei * Frank Derek Douglas * Paul Priest * Josh Mitcham * Jericho Woods

Last edited by Godfrey Arthur on 19 Apr 2018 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 10:03 am    

simply speakers.

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/

play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 8:01 am    

Buy the kit and do it yourself..Youtube makes it easy
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 2:22 pm    

Quote:
Buy the kit and do it yourself..Youtube makes it easy

I think that will happen! MY friend Ross that builds the new Sierra steel said he would love to help. He's smart! Very Happy

Last edited by Dave Zirbel on 20 Apr 2018 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 6:40 pm    

If you're not really experienced, I would send it to someone who is, rather than make mistakes and have to take it apart again and/or buy new parts.

I had that happen with an experienced speaker reconer. He had to do it over.

The coil was rubbing on the magnet.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 7:01 pm    

I;ve been wanted to learn how to do it for awhile.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 7:16 pm    

Dave Zirbel wrote:
I;ve been wanted to learn how to do it for awhile.

Learning curve will be part of it.

Sometimes older speakers, the gap in the magnet gets dirt and it's not easy to clean.

But if time and money is no object, have at it.