The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ol' friends!
Albert Svenddal

Minneapolis, MN
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 8:36 pm    

Gary, wow! Thanks for posting. I always had a blast at Sunesons Music. Many happy memories. That was the first Williams guitar I bought.

Gary Schwartz

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2015 10:06 am    

7 Minnesota steel players stopped by last Saturday at the Musician's Trade Fair in Eagan, MN.
Kevin Mincke, Gary Schwartz, Steve Schmidt, Brian Peters, Cal Hand, Wayne Dahl, Jim Johnson.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2016 4:29 am     Steel Guitar Jam Sessions

I used to go to the Saturday sessions there often when I lived in Lakeville from 1996 to 2000.
Also would go to the Homestead picked parlor for their sessions on Sundays.
He sold my old Mullen 12 string which I wish I still had.
If anybody here bought it and now wants to sell it let me know.
At the right price I'd like to have that guitar back now... Never should have sold it.
Andy

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2016 8:26 am    

That's a really old Mullen (one of the first?) and look at the wood neck the way it has the fretboard routed as part of the neck! Any idea the year Andy or it's background?

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2016 7:25 pm     When Built?

Hi Kevin,
I bought it used for about $800.00 about 1988 from a guy in the San Francisco Bay Area.
The case was shot so when I went to Denver in 89 to visit relatives I went to Del Mullen's garage workshop and ordered a new case.
He said it was an early one but never did say when it was built.

It was a rack and barrel all pull system like the early 70's Sho Buds, but un-like the older Sho Buds all the parts were machined very well and the whole system worked much smoother and tighter with less loose play than any Sho Bud I ever used.
Had 5 pedals & 4 knee levers and I'd tuned it E9 with some B6th pedals too so sort of universal, but not quite that.
Was a beautiful guitar in every detail and had very good tone.

I never should have sold it, but was frustrated with my playing and thought I'd give up... Maybe we have all been in that state of mind at some time?
Anyway, would be great to get it back if not too expensive.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2016 9:55 am    

Maybe if you posted it on FaceBook it would generate some views amongst us in the steel guitar community, although maybe a separate posting on the Steel Forum as well might help. You stated you were living in Lakeville, MN at one time as well. I'm right next door in Farmington.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 9:46 am     Re: Steel Guitar Jam Sessions

Andy DePaule wrote:
I used to go to the Saturday sessions there often when I lived in Lakeville from 1996 to 2000.
Also would go to the Homestead picked parlor for their sessions on Sundays.

It's a small world, Andy. Those dates overlap the days when I would bring my adolescent son to Suneson's every Saturday morning for guitar lessons. There was a kid with an early '70s blonde Tele giving lessons who played like Van Halen, and for over a year tried in vain to teach my boy to play. (Of course at that age, his old man couldn't show him nothin'. And his old man sure as hell couldn't play like Van Halen.)

Gotta figure at least once or twice we were among the folks who would gather to listen to the Paulsen's play their old-timey stuff. Lucy was amazing on her old Fender 400. A really sweet person and what a character!

Spent many an hour over the years at the Homestead Pickin' Parlor. Participated in a Bob Brozman seminar there, probably in the mid to late '80s.

Those were good days for music in and around the Twin Cities.

RIP Lucy, Russ, and uncle Rog.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 8:42 pm    

This is a very old post but I really enjoyed reading it. Of course I am from a long way's from there. But I used to have a job that took me all over the USA. So sometime in the 90's I think I was in St.Cloud, Mn., Summertime Thankfully. Met a lot of nice people. One night I had a date who was a good two stepping lady and she took me to some other club than the one in St.Cloud. I do not have a clue to what club or where it was at but there was the Great Al Udeen playing his Sho-Bud. I had never met Al before that night but when we connected it was as if we had been life long friends. I was in total awe at his playing. He was such a nice Gentleman and was very glad to talk to an old Oklahoma boy that new nothing but I was having a blast. It was such a good night. He just played everything great. I later met his Son Chad I think it is. A very good steel picker also and he went on to Nashville and started working with stars on the road. I kept in touch with Al for a while and brought a amp from him but that was years ago. I see him here on the forum now and then, hope your well Al. I enjoyed this post and the pictures. Brings back some good memories. J.R. Rose

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2018 5:59 pm    

I also enjoy reading Al Udeen's posts. And I also wonder what Chad Udeen is up to nowadays. If there's ever a Minnesota Steel Guitar Hall of Fame, Al will be a charter member.