The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  $4000 budget for a new SD-10...Suggestions?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 3:18 pm    

Mullen is a fine guitar, and the only one other than GFI that's been around a really long time (having thousands that have been built). I'd probably go for the Royal Precision over the G2, but that's just me. Shocked

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 5:44 am    

If you want to split tune without having to add additional pull rods, the G2 is the way to go. I have owned at least three of each and prefer the G2 for my needs. When the G2's first came out, I made my decision at a show where I could play each model side by side and have played a G2 ever since. I am sure others may prefer the Royal Precision which is also a wonderful guitar. They both play great but feel and sound a bit different from each other. As always, it comes down to personal preference and you won't go wrong with either model. I hope you can get try them both and choose what feels and sounds the best to you. Good luck.

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 7:18 am     Mullen it is!

First off, thanks to everyone for their suggestions Wink The majority of you suggested a Mullen G2. After researching other similar threads where, once again, the Mullen G2 was the overwhelming favorite, I decided to take that road.

I spent quite awhile talking with Mike at Mullen and was very impressed. I put my order in for a 4x5 G2 in "midnight illusion", one of their really cool new mica finishes. Also spent some time on the phone with Gary Sill, one of their authorized dealers and he echo'd what many of you were saying about the Mullen's accuracy and quality. Based on my list of requirements, I don't believe I could have made a better choice.

After I placed my order, I watched a couple of their videos about the company. My favorite part was when Del said the Mullen was, "the Rolls Royce of pedal steel guitars". Now I just have to get through the 10 week lead time waiting for my new ride, but boy is it gonna be sweet when it arrives Smile

Thanks again everyone...

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 9:00 am    

10 weeks sounds like an eternity, but for steel guitar builders, that's really quick turnaround. You'll be happy with your choice!

Terry Miller

Hammondsport NY USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 1:49 pm    

Look into a Show Pro. Jeff builds a wonderful guitar. A great person to deal with.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 5:39 pm    

congrats Dennis, you won't be sorry and its well worth the wait. I know .

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 7:49 pm    

Dennis, we all share your excitement right with you. We're all sick I tell you! Good choice. 10 weeks is nothing. Enjoy

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 10:17 pm    

"Himself" operating the "Rolls Royce."

From my seat in the 3rd row, just behind the Mullen family when Del was inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame.

Dennis, that's exciting news.

Great steel guitar! Great steel guitar company!

Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 11:27 pm     10 Weeks?

That is fantastic. My brand took 6 years 3 months, and I did survive the wait.

Bill

Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 7:56 am     something else to consider...

Hey Dennis! Lots of good advice and excellent suggestions sent your way for sure! Somewhat surprised that no one mentioned the following things to consider. If you are a newer player you may not really appreciate all the things a great guitar is..at this point. Hoping that a guitar choice will be "the one" that you will grow old with "for the next forty years" is, in reality, a tall order. The entire steel guitar (hardware) business has been driven by the fact that the great majority of us never knew what we really wanted(for the longest time), spending lots and lots of time and money...instead of practicing, playing and learning. But, I will concede that all of that can be fun and entertaining in itself. So, good deal, you've chosen a really nice guitar and I wish you well! Wasn't trying to be "snarky"...just another perspective! Regards, RK

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 1:25 pm    

I'm so glad you got the Mullen!!! Smile
Those guys are great!

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 6:25 pm    

Excellent choice!! You will love it!!

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 4:37 am     Re: something else to consider...

Rick Kornacker wrote:
...the great majority of us...spending lots and lots of time and money...instead of practicing, playing and learning.

Isn't that true of any creative tool? It certainly applies to all the fields I know about, from acoustic guitars to recording preamps to camera lenses. We usually make more progress when we're learning to use what we've got....Very Happy

--Al Evans

Bobby Bonds Sr.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 5:36 am     G2 or Ultra

My Mullen G2 spent 24 hours under water with Hurricane Harvey and bounced back like new! My GFI Keyless is great and doesn't know how to go out of tune! Got it from Billy Cooper Music. Talk to him.

Bobby Bonds Sr.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 5:37 am     G2 or Ultra

My Mullen G2 spent 24 hours under water with Hurricane Harvey and bounced back like new! My GFI Keyless is great and doesn't know how to go out of tune! Got it from Billy Cooper Music. Talk to him.

Joe Davies

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 5:13 pm    

I started with a zumsteel stage one, upgraded to a Mullen G2. Great instrument but I really preferred playing my Stage one so I sold the G2.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2018 8:48 pm    

. This is my pick it was the best sounding An playing steel I ever owned an it would be hard to name a brand that I haven' had a chance too try.