The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  If you lower your E's on the right knee, let me ask you...
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 9:07 pm    

Larry Bressington wrote:
I think it’s half a dozen of one and six of the other, Which ever you choose will have is opportunities and it setbacks, maybe you can’t play a particular lick Without this option, but then you wont be able to play another lick without the other option, just work around it. Many players have E’s on seperate knees, I like the RKL to lower and LKL to raise, I also lower 2@9 on RKR but I suppose I don’t play any licks with two and nine lowered and 4@8 at the same time.

I think it’s style influenced also, over time you fall into what works after experimenting abit.

Everything about this contraption is a trade-off. One surrenders certain choices to gain others. That doesn't make one inherently better than the other.

I learned on a Sho-Bud, Es on the right. Now have raise on LKL, lower on RKR, because that's how my Carter was set up when I got it. Faced with re-configuring the guitar or just playing it, I jumped right in. My take-away is "no matter where you go... there you are." Muscle-memory notwithstanding, one can master a new physical layout with effort, it doesn't take magic. I'm still at a comfortable level of mediocrity.

And Lloyd Green brings tears to my eyes playing Venus Moon.

Tim Herman

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 5:17 am    

[quote="Dan Robinson"]
Larry Bressington wrote:
Muscle-memory notwithstanding, one can master a new physical layout with effort, it doesn't take magic. I'm still at a comfortable level of mediocrity.

Anyone asks "How you doing?" I respond, "Exceedingly adequate, thanks for asking"

I think the LKR, RKL, might be the easiest difference to work around. There is a noticeable notch with E's on the left. I decided I liked that, and use it as part of my phrasing.