The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E9th sound vs. C6th sound experiment
Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 1:47 pm    

Many times I've had someone come up to me and ask what the difference is between both neck (non-steelers).

You could just let the sound be heard on the same tune. A Haggard tune. First E9th, then C6th. Let them be the judge.

http://picosong.com/wC3sr/

Ron Hogan

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 3:02 pm    

Ron, what about playing these different neck tunings? For a basic beginner/intermediate student of the E9 neck, is the C6 neck a similar learning experience? Or is one considered harder to learn?

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 8:44 pm    

Hi Ken,
A lot to that question. Many players with D10s, don't delve deep into the C6th neck till years later if even much at all.

It's really two ways of thinking E9th vs. C6th. Of course that is Country vs. Swing/jazz. Buddy Emmons' C6th course introduces you to that neck showing you the similarities to the E9th.

Now a days, many players can use just the E9th to get the C6th sound to an extent and doing a good job of it. You may even ask if you need a second neck at all.

Jody Cameron does a fine job at C6th sounds on E9th and also has lesson courses.

https://jodycameronpsg.com

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZlyQJQh54

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 3:35 am    

Thanks Ron.

Your second link to 'Jody Cameron C6 on E9' video is excellent. An amazing sound he is getting on the E9 neck.

I am learning on S10-E9 which is great and a handful. At the same time I love the jazz/swing sound of C6. So my current thinking is when/if I buy a new PSG, I might consider a D10. As you stated though, if you can play like Jody does in the video, it might not be needed. Nice stuff.

Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2018 4:59 am    

Ken, I've played a U12 for nearly 40 years.
I never played a double neck, and see no reason to do so.
Joe Wright is one who's also touted the 'one big tuning'.
There are indeed some very 'C6' sounding E9 players, but with a Universal 12 string, you get it all. (In case you're not familiar with this, typical E9 steels have had a 6th tuning all along. Lowering the E strings - 4 & 8 - gives you a B6. The advantage to a U12 is that you can weave everything together, and you have some bass strings for depth, that aren't on a regular 10 string E9 steel. Another advantage to a U12 is that you're already familiar with the fret positions. Ex: 1st fret, E9, Es lowered, you have C6 or Am7 as well as thinking in B6 mode. First fret on C6 is C#6, so there's that. Plus, it's lighter than a D10.)

I'd say learning the B6 (equivalent of a C6 neck) is different (I started into it late), largely because you're going well beyond the typical triad based music that is most of country.
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2018 3:13 pm    

Years ago (early 70's), a friend of a friend spent a few days with us while he found a place to live. First thing he did was bring in his guitar, and set it up, a 12 string ZB. He was a great player, (I was still attempting to strum a few 6 string chords, but working as a drummer). I did a (cassette) recording of him showing the benefits of a 12 string, going from traditional country tunes right up to serious jazz for about 20 minutes. I sure wish I knew what happened to the tape, he surely was a great player!