The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  1965 Emmons Push-Pull For Sale
Marty Muse

Austin,Tx USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 6:45 pm    

For sale: 1965 Emmons wraparound, serial # 2171. Emmons setup 8+7. Pickups are “original” rewound by Jerry Wallace to 16K. Fretboards were replaced 20+ years ago with white line Emmons fretboards. Original Kluson tuners have been replaced with brand new Klusons.

Very interesting guitar with a rich history. I have been trying to determine the exact history of this steel ever since I purchased it in about 1990. Have not come to any definitive conclusion but it appears to be one kind—at least it's the only one I've seen like it. It’s possible it could have been a “transitional” model between the classic wraps and the bolt-on; notice the two holes behind each changer that seem to have been where the changers might have been mounted. If that is the case the changers were replaced with the more conventional changer mount. There is also an extra row of tuning holes on the endplate, presumably to accommodate a split tuning system of some sort. The only Emmons guitars that I have heard of that had this were the 1964 that was built for Buddy Emmons (owned by Dave Robbins) and the 1965 built for Weldon Myrick that I had presumed (as did a number of other people) this one to be. I no longer think that this is the Weldon Myrick steel as you can watch YouTube videos of him playing it and it doesn’t look the same. The decal is in the wrong place and it’s bigger to name a couple of things. The decal on this steel is the original—probably. It is the decal that you normally see on the bolt-on era guitars and could be that it was changed when and if the changer swap was done. I have spoken to many of the folks that I would consider experts on Emmons history and there does not appear to be any definitive conclusion as to what it is.

I do know this: the serial # dates it to 1965, it has the classic wraparound necks, and it sounds great. I'm asking $7000.00 for it. Serious buyers please send me a private message if you want more info or more pictures.

Michael J Thomas

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 10:17 pm     Pm sent

Pm sent

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 8:21 am    

As I recall, quite a few years ago someone (maybe Herb Steiner) made a comment about Rick Price and Jim Loessberg both being previous owners of this guitar.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 11:02 am    

Marty, I sent you a PM. With some questions better suited for a personal conversation. Will explain. Sent phone #.

Thanks Bobby

Last edited by Bobby Boggs on 3 Apr 2018 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Marty Muse

Austin,Tx USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 5:07 am    

That is true Lee. I bought this steel from Jim Loessberg in the early 90s and Jim purchased it from Rick Price. I asked Rick what happened before that and he told me he purchased it from guy named Tiny Williams who got it from Forrest Culpepper. I think all of these guys are from San Antonio. That is the history of this guitar according to Rick.

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2018 10:24 pm     Re: 1965 Emmons Push-Pull For Sale

Marty Muse wrote:

I do know this: the serial # dates it to 1965, it has the classic wraparound necks, and it sounds great. I'm asking $7000.00 for it. Serious buyers please send me a private message if you want more info or more pictures.

Well....I do believe that this guitar sounds great.......but then a 2x4 would sound great with you playing it Marty:)

Marty Muse

Austin,Tx USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 6:17 pm    

Mild interest in this guitar at original price. Am lowering asking price to $6000/ or best offer.

Marty Muse

Austin,Tx USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 6:19 am     1965 Emmons Push-Pull For Sale—New Price

I am lowering the asking price on this Emmons to $5,000.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 6:45 am    

Have you talked to Forrest?

Marty Muse

Austin,Tx USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2018 10:06 am    

I have not.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 13 May 2018 4:58 pm    

From what I've been told by Weldon and Buddy only two of those were ever built with three rows of tuning holes. One for Buddy that Dave Robbins owns and the one built for Weldon.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 4:42 am    

Johnny Cox wrote:
From what I've been told by Weldon and Buddy only two of those were ever built with three rows of tuning holes. One for Buddy that Dave Robbins owns and the one built for Weldon.

I've got one Whoa!
3 rows of tuning holes
Invoice # 2255
Bought it in the early 1980's in Southern Calif.

Marty Muse

Austin,Tx USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 5:16 am    

That's cool and interesting, Garry. I wonder if there are others? Are there three rows of screws? Is there a functional reason for the third row? Did you buy it from a dealer or from an individual? Would it be possible for you to take a close up photo of the end plate and then of the changer from the underside of the guitar? Did you buy it as is or did you add the badge on the front?

Sorry for all of the questions. Just trying to determine what is going on with these guitars. Thanks for posting.

Johnny, did Weldon ever say what became of that guitar? He did tell me that if it was his steel, that he used it on most everything that he recorded with Connie Smith, with the exception of Once A Day, which was a Sho-Bud. He also said that the overtones on that steel were so out of control he filled the necks with wood and kept it that way. I regret that I never asked him what he did with it.

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 12:36 pm     Weldon's Emmons

Marty,

I just sent you an email.

I took these photos of Weldon playing his Emmons. These are on display in his display booth in the Country Music Hall Of Fame in Nashville. You can clearly see the same third row of holes in the end plate.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 7:19 pm    

Marty, I don't want to hi-jack your thread. I hope you sell your guitar.
It's a bargain at your asking price. I'm asking 7.5K for mine. Shocked
We should start a new Emmons 3 screw hole thread in Pedal Steel.
Wink

Last edited by Garry Vanderlinde on 14 May 2018 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marty Muse

Austin,Tx USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2018 7:38 pm    

It's no problem Garry. I'm grateful for your input. I will take you up on your idea to start a three row thread in Pedal Steel.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 15 May 2018 7:31 am    

Hey Marty, you two guys enjoy your thread. Smile

Seriously, I'd like to know what that third row was for if you ever figure it out.

Bill Quinn

Post  Posted 17 May 2018 5:40 am    

Garry Vanderlinde!! hey I remember at the Jeff Newman school Buddy looking at your steel and commenting he thought he had that steel at one time, due to some weird extra change on the guitar.

Marty Muse - you have always sounded fantastic !!

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 7:03 am    

Don't forget about the blond (one of a kind) laquer '65 wraparound that was special built for Buddy

Last edited by Nick Reed on 18 May 2018 8:57 am; edited 2 times in total

Marty Muse

Austin,Tx USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 10:15 am    

Thanks Bill! Do you own that guitar Nick? It seems that a lot of the Emmons guitars of that era could fall under the category of one of a kind. Very cool looking cabinet.

Marty Muse

Austin,Tx USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 10:16 am    

What's the invoice # on that one, Nick?

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 3:27 pm    

Marty, the original owner stated here, that it's a non-serialized guitar. Who owns it now? I can't say for sure. But I have a pretty good idea. Smile

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 7:38 pm    

Bill Terry wrote:
Hey Marty, you two guys enjoy your thread. Smile

Seriously, I'd like to know what that third row was for if you ever figure it out.

Me too

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 9:48 pm    

Henry, Marty addressed your question in his first post.

Quote:
There is also an extra row of tuning holes on the endplate, presumably to accommodate a split tuning system of some sort. The only Emmons guitars that I have heard of that had this were the 1964 that was built for Buddy Emmons (owned by Dave Robbins) and the 1965 built for Weldon Myrick

This guitar no longer has whatever parts Emmons INC used to get a PP to split tune. My question. Does anyone know how they did it? Did Buddy Emmons ever address this question at the Ask Buddy Forum? Does the Dave Rollens guitar still have split tuning possibilities? Same question applies to the split tunable Bolt ON guitar of Weldons?

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 17 May 2018 10:44 pm    

Very Happy
Quote:
Garry Vanderlinde!! hey I remember at the Jeff Newman school Buddy looking at your steel and commenting he thought he had that steel at one time, due to some weird extra change on the guitar.

I think it was the 3rd row of holes in the changer that he was referring to, and maybe the C6th changes on the 9th pedal. But it doesn't have enough original knee levers.
Jeff told me "Never sell that guitar"!

Bill, really great to hear from you! We had some fun