The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Tom Wheeler (writer & longtime GP Magazine editor)
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 12:40 pm    

How many of us folks who were crazy about the guitar were influenced by Tom's writing and editing in our formative years? The number is incalculable. Thanks, Tom for your books, great taste and for kindling a flame that still burns bright. RIP.

Joe Gore wrote this appreciation:

http://tonefiend.com/uncategorized/tom-wheeler-r-p/?mc_cid=7863861ac8&mc_eid=0bcf9fa14c

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 2:29 pm    

Godspeed Tom.

You and GP mag were of the first world wide communication of information for guitarists before the internet.

I have stacks of back issues with your name on them.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 2:39 pm    

Guitar Player Magazine has always been a quality publication that has avoided the hype so many other guitar magazines have fallen victim to. Much like Andy and Godfrey, I have been a subscriber for decades and have stacks of them. Rest in peace, Tom and thank you for a job well done.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 4:39 pm    

I still have Tom's 'The Guitar Book' and 'American Guitars' here on my shelves. He made a real contribution.

RIP, Mr Wheeler.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 2:16 pm    

I have a great deal of love and respect for the journalists and publishers who fed my hunger for all things guitar and steel liver the years. Tom was an enormous help. Thanks...

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 6:39 pm     Sad

Sad to see another good guy gone away for good.
Met him when I first moved to Eugene, Oregon in 1992 or 93.
He was very nice and encouraged me as I was getting back to building guitars after 11 years away from luthiers work. Told me to go meet Bob November who owned a music shop in town and specialized in collectable vintage instruments. Tom said I should show him my archtop guitar I'd just finished. Bob really liked what I was doing and gave some very good advice to me. Sorry to say that Bob also lost his life to liver cancer a few years ago when he was still much too young.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 7:12 pm     Sad

Sad to see another good guy gone away for good.
Met him when I first moved to Eugene, Oregon in 1992 or 93.
He was very nice and encouraged me as I was getting back to building guitars after Told me to go meet Bob November who owned a music shop in town and specialized in collectable vintage instruments. Tom said I should show him my archtop guitar I'd just finished. Bob really liked what I was doing and gave some very good advice to me. Sorry to say that Bob also lost his life to liver cancer a few years ago when he was still much too young.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 10:00 pm    

During the first half of the 1970's I lived, worked, and went to school in Los Angeles......I worked in a unique photo facility that rented dark rooms, did custom b&w printing, and rented out studio space in addition to doing studio work......I used to attend many concerts and shoot a lot of film......one day, one of the owners asked the staff if we wanted to submit any of our photos to be considered in a book that a friend of his was writing......several of us said yes......so we were introduced to Tom Wheeler who had the idea for a "guitar book".......Tom selected the photos that he thought were appropriate and we received $5 for each photo plus credit in his book (and a copy of the book)......my photo of Jerry Garcia in front of a great wall of speakers kicked off the chapter "Amplifiers"......the first printing came out in 1974......RIP Tom.....

Last edited by HowardR on 17 Feb 2018 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 4:50 am    

Howard! I have posted/referenced that photo so many times (via google). I totally did not remember that it was in the book and I most certainly did not know that it was yours! Iconic!
I have read numerous tributes to Tom that demonstrate the depth of his contributions to the culture and the universality of the respect that he'd earned from his peers.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2018 11:42 am    

Tom fed my guitaraholic obsession for decades, through GP and his books, which are still staples in my reference library. I was a sponge looking for information, and Tom delivered in spades. RIP, Tom.