The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wanting input
Pam Patterson

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 6:46 am    

I just wanted to say thank you for adding me to the forum and to show you the guitar that has brought me here. My dad bought this new when he graduated from high school and has been the only owner. This was his baby! Everything on it is original except for the tuning keys and I am not sure why those were replaced but Dad did it a few years back. He loved to play this and took very good care of her.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 6:52 am     Re: Wanting input

Pam Patterson wrote:
Everything on it is original except for the tuning keys and I am not sure why those were replaced...

The white plastic buttons on the original Kluson tuners were made of an unstable plastic and most have disintegrated over the years. It's easier (and more expensive) to replace the tuner strips with reproductions, but it's possible just to replace the white plastic buttons.

Pam Patterson

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 7:30 am    

Any idea on the best way to go about getting an appraisal on it? Like, who do I trust and where are they at? Is it worth getting an appraisal in case I decide to sell?

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 7:51 am    

One of the "standard" places for appraisal is Gruhn Guitars in Nashville, TN.

David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 7:53 am    

Hi, Pam. Welcome to the forum. Depending on where you're located in Michigan, Elderly Music in Lansing might be a place to get an informal appraisal.

Pam Patterson wrote:
Any idea on the best way to go about getting an appraisal on it? Like, who do I trust and where are they at? Is it worth getting an appraisal in case I decide to sell?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 8:03 am    

Important caveat: I am not an expert. The following are only my personal observations and opinions.

First, if you are not already aware, your instrument is a Fender Champion (not a Champ-- there is a difference). They were sold from the late '40s into the middle '50s. They were Fender's entry level instrument at the time, and they made many thousands of them.

They are getting harder to come by in complete, original condition due to the fact that their pickups are (arguably) worth as much or more than the instrument itself. The Champion pickup is similar, but not identical, to the original Broadcaster, Esquire, and Telecaster pickup.

Stripped-out Champion bodies and parts are relatively common; the pickups are slightly less so.

Because of this, a complete and original Champion is valued somewhat higher today than perhaps it deserves to be. Look at completed sales on eBay, Reverb, and the Forum for a realistic idea of what to expect, price-wise.

An ad on this Forum will likely result in a quick sale if it's priced realistically. There are lots of people who love old Fender steel guitars.

Pam Patterson

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 9:07 am    

Thank you for the information.

Yes, I did know that the Champion and the Champ were two different guitars. I will contact Elderly and Gruhn.

Thanks again.