The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  $4000 budget for a new SD-10...Suggestions?
Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 3:28 pm    

After a few frustrating failures and a lot of wasted time, effort and money at buying used, I've decided to take the plunge and go new. This is the last pedal steel I plan to buy, so I want the best I can get for my money and something that will last me a lifetime (or the next 30 years, whichever comes first Wink)

My budget is around $4000.

These are the things that are non negotiable:

1) SD-10 with a pad and at least 3 pedals/4 knees
2) Rock solid stable tuning...I'm sick of constantly retuning pedals/knees every other day
3) Highly reliable all pull design
4) Ability to adjust pedals to a very light touch
5) Some type of manufacturers warranty
6) Ability to easily get replacement parts and maintain myself if necessary
7) Great sound (obviously)

These are the things that would be a bonus:

1) Beautiful cabinet - doesn't have to be figured maple, mica is fine if more choices than basic black/red/blue
2) Keyless tuning (nice, but not a deal breaker)
3) Ability to add pedals or knees later on

I'm not interested in small boutique builders even though they might do beautiful work, I want a maker with an actual dealer network in place.

So far I've been researching the Mullen G2 & GFI Ultra. Both look like they check off everything on my non-negotiable list, though the threads I've read appear to give the sound edge to Mullen.

Any help would be appreciated Winking

Thanks!

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 3:37 pm     SD-10 Suggestions

I love my Williams The Look and Tone are GREAT they have some beautiful examples on The Forum and on Williams web sight.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 3:51 pm    

For me I think it would be a contest between a Mullen G2 and a MSA Legend. Both are masterpieces of engineering and design excellence.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 4:26 pm    

For your budget and total satisfaction, Mullen G2.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 5:19 pm    

+1 on the Mullen

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 5:33 pm    

Mullen for sure.

Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 5:34 pm    

Rittenberry!!!!!

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 5:50 pm    

You should contact Mickey Adams he's a rep for MSA he might be able to help you out.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 6:26 pm     Re: $4000 budget for a new SD-10...Suggestions?

Quote:
This is the last pedal steel I plan to buy...

Good one!

Are you near Portland, OR?
You should be aware of Lynn Stafford, our local PSG guru Smile
https://steelguitarwest.com/guitars-currently-for-sale/

Ronald Heinzel

Hollister, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 6:37 pm    

I would also recommend Lynn Stafford. I bought my Emmons Lashley legrande from him!
The guitar was everything he said it was, it was packed and shipped properly and arrived in perfect shape. I would absolutely deal with him again !
Good luck in your endeavor !

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 6:48 pm    

If having a dealer that is local is a major factor, I doubt you will find that with any new steel. I could be wrong on that.

However, Lynn Stafford is an easy day trip from anywhere in the rainy part of Washington, and he would stand behind anything he sold you, or so I've been told. And his steels are pretty much in new condition, although not technically brand new.

If you really must have new, Mullen is at the top of the list. But also take a look at Justice steels. ShowPro steels also fit most of your criteria.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 10:34 pm    

I would take a look at MSA, Desert Rose, Williams, Fessenden, Show-Pro, and Ben-Rom if I needed a brand new non-mica steel guitar for that kind of money.

If price didn't matter at all, it would be the new Sierra for me. Otherwise, I would lean towards MSA – the finish and design solutions are top notch, and with Mickey Adams on the team these days, customer support will be world class.

From a customer protection point of view it is usually a safer bet to choose a larger manufacturer than a one man operation (like future access to parts etc., if the builder goes bust or just pops his clogs), but there aren't many breakable parts on a modern steel that couldn't be fabricated by a local machinist if necessary down the line. No reason to worry.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 10:47 pm    

You’ve got a lot of choices.
Rittenberry.
MSA
Mullen G2
GFI

If it was me, I’d go Rittenberry.
J

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 12:02 am     Psg

Mullen or Williams.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 3:33 am    

Another vote for Mullen G2. Had mine for 9 years. not one problem.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 4:55 am    

Dennis, I looked over a few of your previous posts, based on that, I would suggest that you don't buy anything right now. It seems like you have been going in several directions at once, and that you really need to settle down and get back to the basics. The pedal steel requires one thing for sure; patience. It takes time to learn and it will be slow and boring a while.

You should get together with some local players, Pete Burak has offered to help, he is a good player and could give some good advice. You will save yourself a huge amount of frustration. One thing I have often mentioned to guys trying to learn; "There are good reasons that you do certain things in a certain way."

So, don't buy another guitar right now, it won't suddenly become easier to learn. Get some knowledgeable advice. Be prepared to be frustrated. Don't expect overnight success. You will be able to learn if you do this. I wish you the best of luck.

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 5:10 am     shopping

You have a reasonable budget...good!
Know what your hands sound like without electronic geegaws.(it takes time)
Slow down...Play them all. Dont rule out a high quality used instrument.... A dealer network may not be necessary or even an option. Be very skeptical of 90% of the advice you get. What players do you love? What do they use? Something will speak to you...wait till something does. Then jump.
Good luck.

Best,

JW
widcj@hotmail.com

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 6:37 am    

There are some really nice looking used Steels on the Forum right now.
That Fessy S10 that Damir has for sale looks super nice.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=329895
Alberts S12U Williams also looks super nice to me. Smile
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=329998
Here's an Emmons S10 Push-Pull in your price range:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=328915

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 8:23 am    

Were I in your shoes, I'd find something used in the 3k range and find a way to play it before buying. Play everything first. The 'get better with what you have' is great advice, but there are better and worse machines in better and worse condition out there which will make a tangible difference in your playing enjoyment. There is variation in sound and playability amongst even the bigger manufacturers, and you may like a 2k guitar much more than a 4k guitar. Best of luck! And patience!

All that said, given your criteria, I'd probably track down a Rittenberry.

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 8:28 am    

I play a couple of 12 string keyless Excels, because I wanted to move to the 12 string single E9/C6, but seriously, you cant beat a Mullen.

I'll say it again, Can't beat a Mullen. Get a G2.

I had a black 8+7 D-10 Royal Precision, and I regret selling that guitar. Deeply.

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 8:51 am    

Is No. 2 even a thing? I mean, is there such a guitar?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 9:00 am     Re: $4000 budget for a new SD-10...Suggestions?

Dennis Montgomery wrote:
2) Rock solid stable tuning...I'm sick of constantly retuning pedals/knees every other day

Tim Heidner wrote:
Is No. 2 even a thing? I mean, is there such a guitar?

At risk of setting off round 64 (est.) of this proverbial SGF topic, yes, there is. And I have two of 'em. But since they're both vintage push/pulls, they do not meet the OP's criteria.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 12:16 pm    

The good news is that you can't go wrong -- all the new guitars are excellent and meet the criteria of your first list.

But when we throw in your 'nice to have' list, there's only one guitar that I know of that meets all requirements: a Williams keyless. Not all brands make a keyless, so that takes a lot of otherwise worthy competitors out of the running. And wood in a variety of finishes is the default for a Williams, and I've never seen one that wasn't gorgeous. I think Show-Pro defaults to wood too. Other brands may offer that as a pricey upgrade that would kick you over your budget (and there might be few that don't offer it at all... I don't know for sure).

If you want to see what a keyless wood-finish might look like, here's a link to the gallery with over 100 pictures to click through. There are several keyless sprinkled throughout. Also note you can get an S-10 that is one-and-a-half width, with or without a pad (in addition to the normal double-wide SD-10)
http://williamsguitarcompany.com/main.html

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 2:10 pm    

Mullen G2. I can’t say enough about mine. I started with a zum stage one. Then I bought a Shobud. Then I bought my G2. Should have just spent the money for a G2 in the beginning. I still have the Shobud but rarely play it because the G2 is such a precise instrument I can’t hardly stand to play the bud!

Dan Cope

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 2:54 pm    

I’ll give another vote for Mullen G2. I’ve had mine for nearly 8 years and have been extremely satisfied!