The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bitdefender High CPU Usage
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 11:33 am    

I've been running Bitdender lately for anti-virus. The past day or two I've noticed at times, my CPU usage goes way up. The cuprit: Bitdefender Correlation Service (using over 30%). I can not find any mention of this service program via Google search. Does anyone know what it is/does and have any idea why it sucks up CPU capacity? If I turn off the Bitdefender Shield, it still runs without change. First time I rebooted the computer. This time I will let it run a while and see what happens and will report back.

Later Edit - apparently this is the actual antivirus process running. But 30% of CPU seems a bit high, I think? What do others think?

And a final edit, and problem sort-of solved: Further reading reveals that many people have become dissatisfied with Bitdefender for the same problem I have, and also high hard-drive usage at times. It seems recent updates have caused the problem - and presumably an update in the past 24 hours did so with my computer. My solution was to delete it and go with Windows Defender, which has been getting high marks lately compared to a few years ago. I'd settled on Bitdefender after rejecting the ones I've used in the past (Avast, AVG, Avira)for also being too resource-heavy, or the constant pop-ups to upgrade. So, with Windows Defender, my CPU usage went from 30%+ to 2% or less at idle.

Thanks!