The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Excessive volume in dance clubs
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 6:17 pm    

Most of the British legions I used to play had traffic lights on the stage, you went from green to orange and when it goes red the power goes off for a short time. I played a duo gig many times and we’d hit red... Drums? Forget it! He he

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 1:22 pm    

OK, I’m gonna get a little snarky, here, just a warning:

For some reason, steel guitarists, think they need to be the loudest instrument in the band—-unreasonably loud. I don’t know why. I won’t name names, you know who you are. Lead guitarists are also guilty. Steel guitar sounds so wonderful when played at a reasonable volume. There are non-offenders, Dale Watson, for one, always has a mellow volume and he’s the busiest country band around. I’d much rather be told to turn up than turn down

Last year I played the Patsy Cline Show in Georgetown. We used in-ear monitors and no amps. We each had apps on our phones/tablets that enabled us to adjust volume for each instrument. That’s the future I’m hoping to live long enough to see become standard.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 2:37 pm    

John Russell wrote:
OK, I’m gonna get a little snarky, here, just a warning:

For some reason, steel guitarists, think they need to be the loudest instrument in the band—-unreasonably loud. I don’t know why. I won’t name names, you know who you are. Lead guitarists are also guilty. Steel guitar sounds so wonderful when played at a reasonable volume. There are non-offenders, Dale Watson, for one, always has a mellow volume and he’s the busiest country band around. I’d much rather be told to turn up than turn down

Last year I played the Patsy Cline Show in Georgetown. We used in-ear monitors and no amps. We each had apps on our phones/tablets that enabled us to adjust volume for each instrument. That’s the future I’m hoping to live long enough to see become standard.

The lead instrument should be the thing that is heard when a lead is being played, but it needn’t be ear-piercingly so.

Agreed on the IEM’s and tablet amp apps, and not just for volume level management.The end of 90-minute load-in and setup times can’t come too soon for me.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 5:19 pm    

John Russell wrote:
OK, I’m gonna get a little snarky

Amen brother, I haven’t used an amp for 15 years, sound men love it and so does my back!

Bob Ricker

Nashville Tn
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 5:25 pm    

You can't go to a high school basketball game with out getting blasted out as well.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 6:30 pm    

I agree that the lead instrument should be heard above the band, only when it's his turn to solo. I was referring to steel players who have to play every fill, turnaround and jump on the solo at a deafening volume. There are guys around here who drive people nuts with this. There is an attitude among some that this instrument is superior to all the others. Sure, we steelers think it's special but the other band members don't, nor does the audience. If you want to be loved, try being lovable.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 9:52 am    

Larry Bressington wrote:
Most of the British legions I used to play had traffic lights on the stage, you went from green to orange and when it goes red the power goes off for a short time. I played a duo gig many times and we’d hit red... Drums? Forget it! He he

I'd LOVE to know what that "RED" level was for on-stage SPL!!