The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  2004 Mullen Royal Precision!
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 11:00 pm    

Love this guitar!

Last edited by Tommy White on 14 Apr 2018 6:50 am; edited 3 times in total

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 11:09 pm    

It really is the best sounding , most comfortable guitar I’ve ever played. I have a few guitars but this is the one. Just wanted to give a shout out to the folks at Mullen for the best in pedal steel!

Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 3:13 am    

Nice;love that mica!!!!

Dave Grothusen

Scott City, Ks
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 4:02 am    

No doubt Del deserves accolades for his contribution to our world. Thank you Del and thank you Tommy for your contribution also.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 8:52 am    

That is one pretty guitar!!!!!

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 3:04 pm    

Tommy, you have good taste. Mullen is the best.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 6:05 pm    

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 6:09 pm    

That colour mica Tommy is so country cool, almost rustic log cabin Ish, I like those colours also, it don’t matter what colour shirt or jacket you wear it blends well, nothing worse than a blue guitar with a guy in a yellow shirt or red shirt purple guitar blah blah. Mullen’s are sweet.

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 7:21 pm    

Nice business Black G2 Damir. I have one like that with pearl inlay. Still like my old 2004 Royal Precision best though. It has really come into the sound of an aged vintage dry wood guitar with all the overtones , bells and sustain I look for. Mullen guitars get better with age. That’s the beauty of Del’s design. They are built to last and they do!
Here’s my newest G2!

Last edited by Tommy White on 15 Apr 2018 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 11:40 pm    

Tommy, first time I ever saw Mullen was back in 1998/99 when I moved to Nashville, I went down down one day, and there was a player (it might have been you actually) playing a black Mullen in one of the clubs on the lower Broadway, I asked him what that guitar was, and we talked about it for a few minutes, and he offered me to try it, I have never played a better guitar before then, from the first moment I was amazed by the way guitar played, and sounded, and ever since I am a big Mullen fan... over the years I had a chance to play many different guitars, and Mullen was, and still is, one of my favorite guitars ever, one that always delivers, and never disappoints... I played all of the Mullen models, and they are all from Discovery to G2 awesome...

Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 7:53 am    

This is mine and is coming up to 4 year old now
.This photo is just after I unpacked her then in 2015.Still looks just as good and sounds awesome thro my Vegas 400. Theres no going back from a Mullen.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 8:05 am    

Being so geographically isolated I haven't had the opportunity to try a lot of steel guitars. I started on an old Sho~Bud, then went to a modern Carter and a few years ago bought my first new guitar, a Mullen G2. Certainly among those three the Mullen is the ticket. I can't imagine how anything could be much better. There have been zero issues and it plays and sounds incredible. It just oozes quality from the chrome plated steel end plates ( rather than polished aluminum ) to the undercarriage and body work.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 9:53 am    

as far as precision and smoothness goes, there is nowhere to upgrade from a Mullen, there are other great guitars out there, but once you get to that level is not about which one is better any more, is just which looks or tone you prefer... to me Mullen is as precise, smooth and dependable as it gets, I do happen to like the Mullen tone as well, it doesn’t sound like Emmons or Sho Bud, it sounds great tho, like Mullen, smooth like silk...

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 7:03 am    

Thank You guys for the kind words. We are very glad you are enjoying your guitars. Our goal is to build the best guitar we can, each and every time. We treat each guitar with the same attention to detail, that's what we are about.
God Bless you my friends.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2018 5:15 am    

Tommy White wrote:
Nice business Black G2 Damir. I have one like that with pearl inlay. Still like my old 2004 Royal Precision best though. It has really come into the sound of an aged vintage dry wood guitar with all the overtones , bells and sustain I look for. Mullen guitars get better with age. That’s the beauty of Del’s design. They are built to last and they do!
Here’s my newest G2!

👍 looks awesome Tommy... do you notice any difference in tone between metal and wooden necks?

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2023 8:38 pm    

I realize this is a very old thread. Just dropping in to say , my 2004 Mullen Royal Precision is still hanging in there! This particular Mullen guitar is amazing. It has stood the time test and only sounds better every time I play it. This guitar chimes were most won’t and has an inherent sustain unstoppable. I’ve had/played many guitars, this one is it for me.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 9:09 am    

I'm very, very happy with my'06! Have been since I picked it up new at the factory.

Winking

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 10:24 am    

I know what you mean Tommy. Guitars do sound different don't they? Even under the seasoned hands of a master like yourself.

I had a very special 95 PRP that I let get away from me. I miss that guitar almost every day. are you listening Eli?

The grass is not always greener.

On a side note, you are the reason I bought my first Mullen.
I have always admired your fabulous playing and excellent tone no matter what guitar, but I remember hearing you play a Mullen on the old TNN shows. I was in another room and when I heard that sound, I had to run to the TV to see who it was.

I'm hopeful another magic one will come along someday.

Thanks for entertaining us for so many years and showing us how the steel guitar should be played. Good to see you still doing it on the Opry etc.

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 12:19 pm    

What a smooth playing instrument (in burgundy pointe), Thanks to the Mullen crew!

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 1:46 pm    

Hey Tommy,
How about posting a sound demo of that 04 Mullen! It would be a real treat for all of us to hear you play!

Mitch

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 7:23 pm    

Here is my SD10 rp. …great sounding guitar