The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  *938-39 Vega Triumphal **SOLD**
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2018 11:53 pm    

**Stu made an offer and I accepted. SOLD; Donation to Follow**
What I have here is a wonderful late 1930s Vega Advanced Model Hawaiian lap steel (also known as the "Triumphal") w/ its original hard shell case in great shape. This little guitar REALLY sings--exceptional output, and quite a solid little player.

Vega was out of Boston, and this model, the Triumphal, was first made in 1938; its slick black deco design with white pyralin stripes and color-coded fret markers on a solid rosewood fingerboard recall both the Epiphone Electar Model M Hawaiian and the National New Yorker. Around 1940, the design changed to natural flamed maple, which makes me pretty confident concerning the dating.

Most of what I know about this steel comes from some pics I found on-line and this ad from Vega's 1939 catalog:

And so, it's my guess the pickup is not original (although it's in amazingly good nick w/ terrific output, great sound, and no buzz using my Vox AC10 tube combo). The original pickup cover is missing, but I'll throw in one you can install (see pics) unless you want to find something even closer to the original. The tuners are also new additions (and work great).

The original HS case is really neat, with an attractive blue lining and two inside storage pockets. Both latches even pop right up (which is pretty darn good for something born before 1940!).

So--I was thinking $375 and I'll pay for the shipping (you can also trust me to pack it professionally, too).

Just PM me if you're interested. Thanks!

The original red felt pad was removed; this one could be easily switched out if so desired.

Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Last edited by Mark Helm on 14 Apr 2018 7:52 pm; edited 4 times in total

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 12:37 am     Nice steel

Nice steel, but the catalog said it's just $93.00? Are you trying to pull a fast one? Laughing
Actually looks a lot like the National New Yorker.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 8:09 am     Har, har!

That was pretty funny, Anthony Laughing I absolutely love the old ads.

And, I was thinking $93 must have been quite the chunk of change in 1939. Still, I'm constantly amazed with how blazingly well 75+ year old steels play and sing.

This guitar is really quite impressive. Ad, yes--the design (especially the vertical white pyralin stripes) is reminiscent of a New Yorker (although, as I said, it looks a lot like the early Epiphones, which sported colored fret markers).

She's a genuinely nice little player AND looks great on the wall, too! Here's a nice chance to grab a 1930s steel for under $400 shipped!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 2:36 pm     Inflation Calculator

Actually if you calculate the value of a dollar then and now this is a good deal.
Very Happy

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 9:18 pm     Wow...

And here I was gonna drop the price! How about this:

Make me an offer. I'm willing to entertain anything that seems reasonable.

Thanks, gang!

Stuart Sawney

High Wycomb, Bucks, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 3:32 pm     Vega lap steel

Hi Mark, Not sure how to PM you to make an offer….. If you accepted ? I would need the guitar to be shipped to a hotel in LA, arriving by the 18th of April.Latest Thurs. 19th by 4.00pm. I am a tech on tour from the UK and out in Coachella with UK band, Arrive at hotel tomorrow. PM. I could pay Paypal. If all above is a possibility. Let me know if it could work with your lowest price. I may not be able to reply or pay until tomorrow afternoon. my email is stuartmsawney@aol.com. Thanks Best STU.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 8:48 pm     Thanks!

I sent you an email, Stu. Thanks for the interest--it's a really cool little steel.

Aidan Lenihan

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2018 3:14 am    

Its a very cool model of steel, really great 'big' sound, and very versatile I have 36' Triumphal tweed set. I love it and play it every Friday night at the local bar. Also the amp is amazingly LOUD for its size. I have pry it away from the guitar player's at gigs. Never any major amp repairs, which is crazy cause the amp is loaded with paper bees wax caps. Its like being transported back to the era when you take it out.
Super Guitar! Enjoy