The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is a Digital Photo File
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2018 1:29 pm    

In laymens terms, how do you turn a jpeg photo into a high quality Digital File, for an engraver or printer to use? Is the engraver talking about a pdf file format in most cases? Do you recommend an app, or software that does this? Is the software already on my computer? Or the app downloadable on my android tablet?

Incidentally he told me they will not accept a downloaded photo, paper photo, or photo on a thumb drive or sd card? What are they asking for in a "High Quality Digital File"?

On a light hearted note. You guys have been fantastic to help me out so much through the years. With my glaucoma getting so bad from diabetes, there may come a time i won't be able to see these screens. I know this is simple things to most of you computer gurus. And yes....those little computer cartoons, and jokes you have been sending through the years i really do enjoy. I know they are sent to me in a fun spirit. You fella's are great...thanks for the help.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2018 2:11 pm    

George;
Please ask the company in question what file format and amount of separation between colors they prefer, or if they prefer black and white.

My experience is that engravers and stamp makers require two colors: black and white, with gray scale to indicate the background or shadows. There are many photo editors that can convert a color photo into gray scale, then increase the contrast. Some editors even allow you to sharpen edges. I use Corel's PaintShop Pro, a commercial program that is very similar to Photoshop.

Gray scale, or black and white images can be saved as .GIF, or .PNG files to reduce the file size. These small files can be emailed or uploaded via a web form on a website.

There is a reason why you should convert a JPG or JPEG into a GIF or PNG format. That is because JPG files are lossy and contain digital noise. A JPG converted into a GIF can be enlarged and reduced without worrying as much about this noise.

If you choose to send a high contrast and sharpened copy of a JPG, make sure you save it at 100% quality. This minimizes the digital noise in that format.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 2:29 am    

I've had some interface with T-Shirt printing companies and other items and they all wanted BMP files. Same way we had a logo converted into a embroidery pattern and they too wanted a BMP file.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 11:21 pm    

Jack, you are so correct. That is the format they wrote back and told me they wanted. The BMP format never heard of it myself. They also gave me some other computer jargon about bits, and pixels. It would take a computer scientist to figure all that stuff out. So i took it to our local community college here, and one of the computer instructors took it home with her, did it for me and didn't charge me anything. That's what i call getting a great return on your school millage tax dollar. Thanks fellas