The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  David Sliff, Son & Rennaisance man: 1994 - 2017
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 8:55 am    

An amazing individual.
Deep condolences for you and your family.
regards,
Richard Born
(Lefty)

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 2:51 am    

Jim, I'm so sorry to hear about your son passing on. My deepest condolences go out to you and your family and all of David's friends.

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 4:15 am    

I have been through this and there are no words to explain what you are going through.
My only son passed away in 2014 as a result of one of our country's so called Gulf Wars.
Then in 2017 we lost his only son to a drug overdose. That spelled the end for any future continuityy for this family... So much talent, so much to live for , all gone. I still find solice in my music and knowing how much music meant to them. I guess in the grand scheme of things me and mine are a pretty small part. But when things like this happen it becomes a huge heartbreak.
Cling to those you love and know you have the support of the greatest bunch of steel pickers in the world. God Bless you and your family.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 6:25 am    

Jim, thank you so very much for sharing these wonderful photos and your beautiful perspective on this fine young man. You have so much to be proud of. My very deepest sympathies and hopes for peace for you and all he touched.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 8:02 am    

So sorry to hear about this, Jim. It's a heartbreak no parent should have to bear.
My thoughts are with you & yours.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 8:13 am    

My Condolences To you and your family.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 4:10 pm    

Jim, you hit the bullseye about your son having been a Renaissance Man. Your love for him clearly was etched in your description.

So sorry for this loss your family has undergone. Stevet

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 8:04 am    

My deepest sympathies to you and your family Jim. Your son was clearly an amazing guy who will be missed by everyone whose life he graced...

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 9:43 am    

Jim,
Thank you for sharing this. Depression is a tough battle. Your son is a remarkable young man, no doubt a reflection of wonderful parents. My heartfelt Condolences to you and your family.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 12:48 pm    

Thanks everyone for the kind words in posts emails and calls. David was a heck of a guy who was loved for his talents, humanity/kindness, hard work - and twisted sense of humor!

I'm still stunned that we...no, *he*...had roughly 400 friends and family attend his Celebration service. We were set up for 250 and expected 150-200. Shows what we knew! David had friends fly in from Europe, New York (and all over the US) his elementary school teachers were there and met his college professors, his dentist and doctor attended, family from all over - but mostly friends - people he'd known for 4 or 5 years, some he had't seen since he was 10 or 11 and lifelong friends/partners in crime.

We finally had to kick people out during "open mic" time because funny stories ended up running way overtime. We heard some incredibly touching and/or funny stories we'd never heard and far more about his musical talents than even I was aware of.

It was a beautifully sad day. And the burial the next day was heartbreaking.

None of us have been able to "let David go". When I see or hear something interesting or funny the first thing that pops into my head is "I gotta tell David...".

And I hope that never stops.

Thank you again everyone -

A favorite picture of mine - David laughing at something his older brother Mike did. Again:

With his Grandmother Jo - in her 80's and sharp as a tack!

With his best friend/musical partner Christian (on David's left) and their gang of friends:

Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 4:21 pm    

Condolences and positive vibes coming your way.❤️

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 4:26 am    

Jim,
You and all your family are in our Prayers, David's life was way too short, I wish I could have met him...Words can't say what I feel for you and your family...David will be in your Heart forever I'm sure...I am so sorry for your loss.......

David...

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 7 Mar 2018 7:08 pm    

Jim, Just saw this. My condolences to you and the family. Depression is a hard one. God bless my friend.

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 7:05 am    

so sorry for your loss

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 1:37 pm     Early loss

Jim, I did not know this in our recent talk. MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND YOURS.. Each one. PM coming. I went thru this 28 yrs ago. Art
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 2:05 pm     Loss

You are NOT alone in this. A few of us have been there already, and I am willing to talk to you at anytime 24/7 if you need to talk. I thought the Was was the worse I wuld ever go thru. WRONG. Loosing a child was. We are not suppose to out live our children. Call me, you have the number! ! !
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 9:50 pm    

Jim, my condolences.

John Wilson

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2018 3:43 pm     Jim, My sincere condolences on the loss of your son.

I can identify with the pain you are feeling.

We lost a young man who was like our second son the same way a few years back, and it does take time to come to grips with it. Sometimes its incredibly hard for brilliant, gifted young people to make their way in a world that isn't perfect; I often think back to how much simpler it seems things were for guys our age.

Take comfort in knowing that he is at rest.

Best to you.

John in Ventura

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2018 12:36 pm    

It took 8 months for David's headstone to be completed. It's both a beautiful memorial and something that is SO typically David -

The picture on the front is permanent. We were happy to discover they could do that. And Kathy wrote some beautiful words.

The back encompasses a lot of who David was - It's the title of one of his songs & it's a math/physics masterpiece -

But it can't be typed on a normal computer keyboard - and it's *impossible*. A very few people who see it "get" it. But most are driven bats trying to figure out what heck it is, or what it means, if there's a deep, secret meaning and it's code from some secret society -

His last practical joke. It's so perfectly "David".

Laughing

Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 12:25 pm    

Very beautiful Jim, hope you are doing well, I like the pick left on the stone great tribute.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days