The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stereo Steel or Katana 100?
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 6:47 pm    

I use a rack setup because I have a bad knee and want my amp controls beside me so I don't have to get up to twist knobs. I have been seriously considering a used Stereo Steel, but all the good things I have been reading (and the sound c!ips) have perked my interest in the Roland Katana 100. I would want the head only to use with my Telonics 15" speaker cabinet. I know the Katana head is not a rack mount unit, but I could still have it beside me. What are your thoughts as to which way to go? A used Stereo Steel combo and a new Katana head only are about the same price. The 5" speaker in the Katrina head appeals to me as a practice amp.

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 7:06 pm    

You cant beat the stereo steel. I highly recommend it.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 7:39 pm     Stereo Steel or Katana 100?

Craig, thanks. I have a local friend that has a Stereo Steel and I met Gerry Walker last year at the Dallas show and took one for a test drive, so I know it is a great unit. I can return the Katana within 45 days if I am not happy with it, so I am thinking about doing that first just to get a new amp and to get it out of my system.

[/b]

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 8:19 pm    

George, you might consider the Quilter Steelaire Rackmount head:
http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/steelaire-amplifiers/steelaire-rackmount

My friend Travis Toy loves playing through his (through a TT-12 in a cab, natch!), and between his playing and his gear, you couldn't ask for a better sound.

I heard a tiny Trace Elliot ELF played through both 12 and 15 inch speakers at Mickey Adams' shop last week, and it was a big round sound.

My main rig is a Stereo Steel through Telonics cabs with a Black Widow in a closed back, and a JBL in the open back, and it's pure heaven.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 8:20 pm    

double post deleted

Last edited by John McClung on 30 Mar 2018 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2018 5:43 am     Stereo Steel or Katana 100?

John, thanks. My rack right now has a Steelaire and a Carvin BX 500, so I blessed with two great sounding amps. I want a 3rd amp for practice so I don't have to set-up my rack system and put practice hours on the Rack amps. The Katrana head only with a 5 inch speaker sounds like a perfect practice amp for me. With a 45 day return policy and free shipping, I don't see how I can go wrong. Don't like, return it and get a Stereo Steel.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 9:44 pm    

I auditioned the Katana 100 and then the 50 at another store. Both times with tube amps next to them to compare.
There is a long thread in this site about them.
For the price and weight I think they are great. Plenty loud and clean. There is something odd, almost like a bit a latency.

The stereo steel is a better more natural sound to me. More expensive. Heavier. But it is a class above the Katana in sound quality.

John

John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2018 10:30 am    

I have used the stereo steel for many years. It has many flexibilities. An Evans preamp is very nice also. IF you want light weight and power try the GK MB200. 200w and it will drive a 15inch all day long. Its weight is 2lbs. Want more power GK MB500.