The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter 101 reverb or Overdrive 200?
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 8:09 am    

Is anybody using either of these? The 101 reverb might be something I would be interested in, but I have concern that the 50 watts will be underpowered and lack headroom. The Overdrive 200 is 200 watts, but is designed for blues guitar. I am not sure how the clean channel would be for steel. I have a Steelaire rack mount and wonder if I can get the same sound out of either of these units. I am considering going a different direction with my rig.

Update: Just did a search and found quite a few posts on this subject, so most of my questions have been answered. I think I will just stick with my Carvin BX 500.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 11:00 am    

George I tried the 101 reverb and did not like it at all with my Kline. I have a Trace Elliot "Elf" (200 watts),,,love it! of course I have to have a RV3 or similar with it.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 11:30 am    

I've been looking around and haven't come across anything similar to the BX500. There's lots of small solid state Bass amp heads and big Bass amp heads. The all tube types are too costly (and big) for me. Too bad Carvin isn't making amps anymore, just selling off what they have left (no warranty). I should have bought another BX500 when they were clearing out amps but they never offered them at a "real" closeout price.

Sadly, not much chance of repair (and I'm an ex amp tech). Its all "SMT" and unless you have a high $$ commercial SMT workstation you can't work on it. Only one schematic available and its for one version and there have been quite a few versions over the years. Thus if it "goes belly up" its most likely not repairable.