The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any ideas?
Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 7:07 pm    

If this is in the wrong place, please move it. I am talking to a forum member and we are both wanting to do a straight-up trade. He lives in Canada and I live in Virginia. I don't want to ship my guitar to him in the hopes he will ship his to me. I don't expect him to ship his to me in the hopes that I will ship mine to him. What is the best way for us to do this. We are both open to suggestions. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 7:11 pm    

Maybe send each other a deposit for security??

Best intentions,

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Mark S. Miller

Depew, NY, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 4:48 am    

I would look up the history of each of you here on the forum and see how long each has been a member we are a very small group of people and I think we have a very good track record. between us . I know there is always a bad apple here and there and Bob has try and post them under one of the headings. If that still does not make you at ease I will stick my neck out for you too and become the middle man. I live in Buffalo New York who knows maybe half way between you too. Each of you send me your guitar and when I receive both I will send to each party. Of course all shipping cost will have to be pre paid to me. I have been a member ?10 years plus

GeneRector

Normangee, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 5:14 am    

Cool Howdy! Before you ship to Canada you need to find out what Customs may require and if any fee will be added. Customs may add on an import fee, etc. Best of luck!
Always, Gene

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 7:08 am    

Mark S. Miller wrote:
I would look up the history of each of you here on the forum and see how long each has been a member we are a very small group of people and I think we have a very good track record. between us . I know there is always a bad apple here and there and Bob has try and post them under one of the headings. If that still does not make you at ease I will stick my neck out for you too and become the middle man. I live in Buffalo New York who knows maybe half way between you too. Each of you send me your guitar and when I receive both I will send to each party. Of course all shipping cost will have to be pre paid to me. I have been a member ?10 years plus

The forum member in Canada has been a member on this forum since 1998 with 15 posts. I have been a member since 2004, with 753 posts.

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 7:09 am    

GeneRector wrote:
Cool Howdy! Before you ship to Canada you need to find out what Customs may require and if any fee will be added. Customs may add on an import fee, etc. Best of luck!
Always, Gene

I didn't think of that! Playing a steel is hard enough, now I have to learn about shipping and customs, LOL!

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 1:12 pm    

Sounds like a road trip for both of you would be best.
Meet in the middle. For you, it would be best to meet in the U.S. and let the other party deal with Canadian customs. Of course, he would also have to deal with U.S. Customs.

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 10:58 am    

Lee Baucum wrote:
Sounds like a road trip for both of you would be best.
Meet in the middle. For you, it would be best to meet in the U.S. and let the other party deal with Canadian customs. Of course, he would also have to deal with U.S. Customs.

Thanks for all of the replies. I was willing to drive 6 and 1/2 hours and meet him in PA, but the seller wasn't. Thanks again for the tips.