The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Skeets Yaney
Peter Shenkin

New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 7:35 pm    

Skeets has been mentioned a number of times on the forum. When I was an undergrad in Carbondale, IL in the '60s I used to listen to his country show from St. Louis on KSTL, I think it was.

Recently I saw that a few of his recordings are on U2be. They're on the MGM label from the early '50s. He's a good singer and there's some good playing on them too. And nice arrangements.

Does anyone know who's playlng steel and guitar on these?

Don't Bring Your Broken Heart To Me
Paper To Burn
Hello Trouble

The last of these is the one I remember best from his show.

Thanks,
-P.

Fred Rushing

Odin, IL, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 2:33 pm     Skeets

I grew up and still live in the KSTL listening area. I listened to skeets as far back as the mid 50,s long before I took up the Pedal steel, which was in the early 70's. A nicer kinder person you will never meet than he was.

I was told by a good friend who seemed to know what he was talking about told me a gentleman from the Edwardsville Illinois area named Jerry Mendorsa, an excellent steel player from that era done a lot of work for Skeets. He also said Bud Issiacs had recorded with him also. The theme song Skeets used, Back Home In Indiana Jerry Mendorsa played on too.

Jerry recently passed away sad to say. I got to hear him play about 3 years ago and he was a Master.

I don't know this to be factual but that is what I was told a number of years ago.

Fred

Peter Shenkin

New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 4:23 pm    

Hey, thanks, Fred. One of my internet friends, James "Tim" Ausburn, also knew Skeets and said the same things about him that you did. Certainly that air of sincerity comes across in his voice.

If I had had to venture a guess as to the steel player, I would in fact have guessed Bud Isaacs. I wanted to find a recording of Skeet's "Indiana" for comparison with Mendorsa, but I can't find one on U2be or a listing on discogs.com or Praguefrank, so it might have been on a small local label. I think if it had been on MGM it would have been listed, so circumstantial evidence makes Bud the likely player on the MGM stuff. The guitar playing is good, too. All I can say is that it sounds more Grady-like than Chet-like to my ear.

By the way, when I was listening to Skeets ca. 1966-67, I think his theme song was "Little Red Wagon." I don't see a recording of him doing that, either.

Thanks for trading notes with me on this!

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 4:34 am    

Purely an opinion, but those long glisses on "Paper To Burn" sound very much like Jerry Byrd to me.

"Hello Trouble" could well be Isaacs, largely because Isaacs at times reminds me of Noel Boggs and I can hear that Boggs thing on that song. It was recorded several years after "Paper To Burn".

Fred Rushing

Odin, IL, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 5:56 pm     Skeets

Peter

Like I said. I am not sure on my info about the steel players. I was more aware of the Theme song around the late 60's. Although I was aware of Skeets afternoon show in the mid and late 50's I paid a lot more attention to the steel playing by the late 60's to early 70's. I do know he used Indiana as his theme song in late 60's and 70's.

I am sure you remember his tag " We play the finest in country, western, and city folk music". Never forgot that tag.

He was always at Scottys convention and supported the steel community daily.

A kind soul and you could yell that just by listening to his program.

Fred

Pat Heller

Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 6:49 pm     Skeets

I don't know about the pickers on his records but I know that Jerry worked in his band for years. When I was 12 yrs. old my dad took me to Skeet's nightclub in South St. Louis. The bouncer wouldn't let us in, because of my age, Along came Skeets down the sidewalk, he asked dad what was going on, he told him that he wanted me to hear Jerry on steel, Skeets said go on in but no booze for me. Jerry was picken an old Gibson Multi Harp. I'll never forget it. Jerry was a fine picker and gentleman and so was Skeeter P.H.

Peter Shenkin

New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 9:58 am    

Mitch Drumm wrote:
Purely an opinion, but those long glisses on "Paper To Burn" sound very much like Jerry Byrd to me.

"Hello Trouble" could well be Isaacs, largely because Isaacs at times reminds me of Noel Boggs and I can hear that Boggs thing on that song. It was recorded several years after "Paper To Burn".

Mitch, I think you could be right. That sounds very much like Jerry on "Paper To Burn", and more so each time I relisten. I feel a little inner hesitation, maybe because overall it doesn't sound as "Jerry-ish" as most of his stuff that I know better, such as his work on King. But on the other hand, this is for a major label, where the producer presumably had a stronger hand. Thanks for raising the possibility. I had not thought of it and I certainly don't have a better idea.

-P.

Bill Nevins

st.charles,Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 3:30 pm     jerry mendorsa

Jerry retired a few years ago from the silver wings band and they hired me to fill in and his wife comes to see us occasionally.I think she will be there this friday night and i will ask her what she knows about it...

Bill Nevins

st.charles,Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 6:23 am     Jerry Mendorsa

I talked to his wife and she said he did play with Skeets but never on any of his recordings...

Peter Shenkin

New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 7:44 am     Re: Jerry Mendorsa

Bill Nevins wrote:
I talked to his wife and she said he did play with Skeets but never on any of his recordings...

Hmmm....

-P.