The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bar that is good for reverse slants?
Tony Lombardo

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 1:17 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
Clinesmith's bars have a depression on the end.

When I blow a reverse slant (which is not rare), I get a depression on my end.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 8:10 pm    

Well said, tony....

So far the Jim Burden bar I just got wins the prize...big conical depression in the base, same as Broz-o-phonic, but the shape of the tip is a bit more rounded and easier to nail the split slants with. And the steel is very smooth, a nicer finish than the bros-o-phonic

Also, he'll make any length - I got 2 â…ž, which somehow, along with the more shapely tip, just seems to be much easier to control (I do not have big hands).

Clinesmith bar coming shortly (I couldn't get to him in time to cancel the order after the Jim Burden arrived) and modified BJS at some point later (I just love BJS). They both are different materials (BJS is chrome, mellower than stainless steel), so we'll see what's what.

Probably put a few of them up for sale once I find my Holy Grail slanter...but I think that the Jim Burden is it, unless the materials difference somehow overshadows the perfect Burden shape...

Last edited by Steve Lipsey on 4 Apr 2018 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2018 10:04 am    

My best bar is on the corner from my house, I come out of there pretty slanted....works everytime!!!!

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2018 4:18 pm    

I'm pretty new at steel and started with what I think is a Broz-o-Phonic bullet (I honestly can't remember where I ordered it, I assumed it was a Dunlop previously, but so it is labelled) at 3" in length (assuming we are measuring from end to tip, not just the flat untapered section before the bullet nose starts tapering away). Once I moved into an 8 string (or two...or three Smile ) I got one of Basil's EzeeSlide bars, which I really love the feel/tone of. That said, it is the 3.3" length and makes forward slants rather difficult. I may revert back to the narrower Broz bullet on my Stringmaster and use the bigger Ezee Slide on my 400, where it works marvelously (full wide sweeps, precious little slanting). I prefer the big bar when I was doing mostly straight bar and forward slants...but once my teacher started chucking reverse slants at me, I'm having trouble to be sure. Maybe I'll pick up one of his 3" bars eventually, which should be similar to the Broz bar in dimensions/handling but with a better feel...

Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2018 5:42 am    

Mark Roeder - Exactly My kind of slants Joe

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2018 6:28 am    

Mark Roeder wrote:
My best bar is on the corner from my house, I come out of there pretty slanted....works everytime!!!!

But Mark, we're not all fortunate enough to live in 'Sconnie, where there's a bar around the corner from everyone's house.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 9:26 am    

OK...I got the Clinesmith bar, and I like it, but I can't quite articulate yet how it is different than a steel bar...it seems to play "cleaner", but I haven't decided if that is a good thing or not...

And yes, the depression in the bottom, although flat (the Burden and Broz-o-phonic are conical) is deep enough to grab my thumb on the reverse slants.

John McNicholas

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 6:16 pm    

I'm finding it hard to learn two-fret reverse slants using a heavy bullet bar. The bar rolls slightly off the high string, apparently because it's approaching parallel with the string -- or, I'm just not very good at it yet.
I'm playing a 7-string ShoBro, G6, .16 gauge high string (D); 25" scale length, 2 1/8"-wide fretboard. I'm using a 3 1/4-inch, 3/4-pound bar. Up till now, it's worked fine.
I just went to the corner store and bought a Shubb Long Tom, looking for less curve on the bar surface. But it's too light for my taste and muscle memory ... maybe a bit too long, as well. I also bought a couple .18-gauge strings.
Anybody have suggestions? And, is there a compendium of bars somewhere to shop through?
I hope I can fix this just by spending a lot more money.
Thanks --

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2018 8:30 pm    

Hmmm...I'm using a pretty standard lap steel ¾" bar - I'm betting that yours is bigger diameter...it might be easier to nail the slants with a more narrow bar...mine are 3" =/_, and about 5oz, much lighter than yours...yours seems more like a typical pedal steel bar...

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2018 12:37 pm    

Jack Hanson:
But Mark, we're not all fortunate enough to live in 'Sconnie, where there's a bar around the corner from everyone's house.

It is so true, I have one three doors down in an old neighborhood. Plus several around the corners

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 4:57 pm    

OK...here's where I'm at...I like the Clinesmith for my Weissenborn - a little smoother sound, a little lighter weight, to match the reduced string tension. And the Jim Burden for reso, more for the slightly shorter length.

But dang, that Broz-o-phonic still is just fine for everything....

And I really, really like having the extra chord options that the reverse slants give...makes it nice to flow from one inversion to another without moving too far...