The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Possible Problem For Emmons' Guitars
Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 9:52 am    

Well, for me it wasn't a possible problem,,,it was a real problem. I thought I'd share it with you guys and gals just in case you've been scratching your head like I have been for the last couple of months or so. It possibly could be a problem for most any guitar. This I'm not sure of, but I suspose it could be.
Let me preface the situation this way,,,,
I've been experiencing tuning and intonation problems. I have checked everything under my push pull and adjusted and readjusted everything there is to adjust. Still had the problem. I'd tune up and as soon as I started playing, the tuning would go south.
Now,,,,to the problem. For the best part of a year I have not tore my guitar down and put it in the case. I've kept it assymbled all this time and carry it around that way. It's been in and out of every kind of weather you can imagine.
Today I have a gig and a lot of equipment to haul that I don't normally have to take with me. So, I needed to put my guitar in the case to make more room for all this stuff.
Well guess what?!!!! My pedal rod connectors would not slide off the connector pins on the side of my pedals. They were basically "frozen" on there. So much so that I had to pry and beat them off. Once I got them off I couldn't believe all the corrossion that had built up. After cleaning, sanding and oiling the pins and after slightly drilling out and cleaning the holes in the connectors, I put my guitar back together to check it out before I take to play tonight. ALL of the problems were gone. My guitar is playing so easy and in tune.
This was a very dumb oversight on my part and I thought I'd share it with you just incase you are having tuning, intonation and action problems. Just maybe it could be your problem too.
Hope it helps a little.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!
http://www.bobbybowman.com

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 10:02 am    

I don't see how that would affect intonation.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 10:05 am    

Very interesting Bobby... What happened in your case was likely this.. That rust/frozen cond did not happen overnight, it was slow to develop, little by little over time, and you adjusted to it without realizing it... After a while, I guess it just got so bad you realized there was a problem..

I have seen many cases of the scenario you described,in many types of machinery,from cars to guns to guitars... usually it someone who is not living with the item on a day to day basis that FINDS the problem,because he has not adjusted to the decreasing efficiency.. Its like our bodies... we are grinding to a halt ever so slowly without noticing it for a long time.. and then one day BANG... we're rusted solid!.. ... Glad you found and corrected this somewhat unusual problem!... bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 27 August 2005 at 11:08 AM.]

Mark Krutke

Tomahawk, WI USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 10:21 am    

That's very interesting and beneficial, Bobby. I've been carrying my P/P that way and will lubricate that area from now on.

------------------
Mark Wayne

www.authenticrecording.com

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 10:33 am    

Quote:
I don't see how that would affect intonation.

Easy. It wouldn't let the pedals return to their "neutral" state (zero-tension). In other words, a pedal, once pushed, would not fully release when you let off of it...and that's a real problem because it won't necessarily stick in the same place each time, so you begin make permanent (tuning) corrections to correct what is, in fact, an intermittent problem.

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 11:16 am    

You betcha,Bobby you da man!!!several times i've heard pedal squeak in the past. thats friction,and as you say after while,it will grow tighter and tighter.sure proud you found the problem my friend.also passing that on is greatest, bless you Bobby
farris

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 11:24 am    

Bobby, ya gotta stop playing those beach-blanket bingo parties down on the gulf! -L- I can see those little bitty waves rolling in over your pedals, while you sit there on the pack-a-seat in a Hawaiian shirt and kaki shorts... :- )

Bobby Bowman

Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 11:54 am    

Donny,
You basically hit the nail on the head.
Anyways, Being a so called "mechanic" on these things, I really feel pretty dumb to have let this happened. I guess we never get too smart to learn something, do we?
BB

------------------

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 12:02 pm    

Bobby don't feel bad,thats part of getting old my friend!!i fought all day putting new keys on my bud,this evening it dawned on me,well dummy,enlarge the screw holes in the keys.things just fell together,man am i embarrased!!!!!!!mabe i won't forget next time huh farris

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 12:02 pm    

Hey, Bobby - you were probably too busy working on everyone else's guitars, like the black mica S-10 I got from Larry Fout. It sounds and plays great, thanks.

I know lots of auto mechanics who are too busy to work on their own cars most of the time.

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 12:14 pm    

Many Aluminum alloys will oxidize & corrode like he!! in a humid/wet environment. I found this out the hard way with another piece of equipment.

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 1:01 pm    

I had a similar experience when I once had Clem Schmidt work on a push pull for me. For some reason, he ended up with just the D-10 body, he used his own pedal rack during the work. I got the guitar back, it still had all the problems. Turned out to be my pedal rack was bone dry and sticking. Lubed it up and all the problems went away!!

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 1:54 pm    

Hello Bobby, I can see where that would be easy to miss. I never thought about it. I always tear mine down and put it in the case whenever I'm playing different places. I guess doing this, I've checked the connectors and all without really thinking much about it. I keep a little 3-in-1 on mine regularly but I can definitely see what your talking about. Now I have learned something else about PSG's. Thanks, my friend!

Charles Dempsey

Shongaloo, LA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 3:05 pm    

Heavens to Betsy! Do you think it was electrolysis caused by the aluminum hex end being in contact with the (stainless?) pedal stud?

Charlie

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 3:27 pm    

Naw, Charlie, I think he said the damned thing was rusted.

------------------
"From Truth, Justice is Born"--Quanah Parker-1904

Jennings Ward

Edgewater, Florida, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 4:16 pm    

THE BEST THING I HAVE FOUND " ANTI - SIEZE "
LUBRICANT, CHEAP AND LASTS A LIFETIME, WILL NOT RUN, DRIP, OR CARODE, VERY DEPENDABLE...DONT BE
AFRAID TO PUT IT ON ALL MOVING PARTS.. WORKS WONDERS.......JW;;;;;U PK;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +

Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 9:35 am    

Let me go and check my guitar. Be back in a couple of minutes.
Thanks for reminding me, Bobby.

------------------
Nic du Toit
1970 Rosewood P/P Emmons D10 Fatback 8x4
Peavey Session 500 unmodfied

My CD "Nightmare on Emmons Steel"

Click here to E-mail us.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 6:13 pm    

Donny, I'm with Earnest on this one - it wouldn't affect the intonation, only the tuning .....

Bobby Bowman

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 6:51 pm    

Barry,
Maybe I'm using the wrong term, but it was out of tune up and down the neck and not always the same "out of tune". Nevertheless, once I corrected the problem, it plays in tune in all aspects.
BB

------------------