The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6th....6 or 8 ?
Tony Boadle

Skibbereen, County Cork, Ireland
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 7:05 am    

Hi team...some advice please!
I've been playing Lap-Steel and Reso on a recreational basis for several years now. It's a welcome distraction from my main instrument (b****o)
I've always tuned E6th on the lap-steel, primarily because it enables me to use my fitted Multibender on the G# and B.
I'll be keeping this as is, but I'm now planning to delve into the world of C6th. It's obviously the number one choice for most pickers, and I need to find out why.
I was playing an 8-string in E6th for a while, and only occasionally found the need for the extra two strings.
I've just been offered an 8-string C6th lap-steel, and I'm wondering if the extra two strings are more useful in C6th tuning than they seemed to be in E6th?
Advice and comments appreciated. Regards from Ireland!

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 7:28 am    

You can make plenty good music on a 6-string C6, but a lot of people seem to migrate to 8 eventually. Early on you may not understand the need for the extra strings, but over time you will probably find yourself using them at least sometimes. For C6 specifically you can put a 5th on top with 8 strings, which should feel more like home on your reso or b***o. Although I don't, I add the base strings and also sometimes do C6/A7 with the tweak of one string, as well as convert occasionally to A6 for a full sound with 5th on top.

Ultimately it depends on where you want to take and what you want to play, but I see no reason to avoid 8 strings.

Keith Glendinning

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 8:38 am    

My first Lap Steel was a rescued.6 string Gibson BR3, which I tuned to regular C6 and occasionally I retuned to A6 and B11 using the same set of strings.After a few months I decided to build an 8 String and also tuned that to C6 with the G (5th) on top. I soon decided that I didn't like the tone of the high G and retuned to A6 wit the E (5th) on top and realised that this was my favourite tuning. I eventually fitted heavier strings for a much more mellow sound. The extra 2 strings mean that you don't have to "dash" up the neck for the higher notes. Don't forget A6 to C6 is only a few frets away, and you can still use the same TABS
!!
Keith.

Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 9:14 am    

Thanks Brad, your comments are appreciated...and have helped me in my decision to go for the 8-string option.
I have a related question that's vexed me for some time, perhaps you can give it some consideration?
I've always used this for E6th (lol-hi) B C# E G# B E
On my reso, I dropped a full tone to ease pressure on the cone: A B D F# A D. This allows me to use my reso Multibender (don't knock it until you've tried it lol!)
So isn't this technically D6th? (E6th less two flats)
And if I dropped another full tone, I'd have G A C E G C.
Which should be C6th? (D6th less two flats) But that's not the C6th that everyone uses.
Why the difference?
I await the embarassingly simple answer......

Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 10:05 am    

Thanks Keith...only just received your reply. An interesting tuning option which I'll try when the eight-string arrives.
PS: Greetings from Europe lol!