The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How do you sit?
Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 1:56 pm    

When you sit at your steel to play do you sit "square" to it or at a slant?
Many teachers talk of sitting at about the 15th fret, but are your shoulders and hips square to the fretboard or is one shoulder closer in than the other? How square is your foot to the A&B pedals?
I haven't really securely "landed" yet. It's causing me problems in learning where the pedals are without looking.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 2:09 pm    

Body pretty much squared. Foot angled.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 2:15 pm    

Square with belt buckle about 15th fret, right foot angled, left foot varies back and forth between pedals 1-7.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 3:45 pm    

Everyone's anatomy is slightly different, so it's hard for anyone to advise you on how you should sit. Just try to be comfortable. Don't adapt any sitting position that feels stressed.

For example, I have relatively long legs and short arms, so my steel is tipped back towards me a bit, and my right shoulder and hip are slightly closer to the steel than my left side. If I didn't do that I would be having to reach out too much when playing the E9 neck. That's what works for me. But I would never tell someone that's what they should do.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 4:00 pm    

I'm about 6'4"...or once was, and I angle myself 15 or 20 degrees so that my A pedal and F lever on my left leg are available with very little effort. The downside is that I cannot use my E-lower lever. I will need a flag on it. On my last 4 Carters it was no issue. I now have a 1970 Sho~Bud and it's E-lower is in a bad place for me, and can't be moved.

Getting used to a guitar takes time. It might take a year, or even a few different guitars to understand what feels best. Carter steels are VERY ergonomic in my opinion, at least all four of mine were and I used the same angle. Angle away!
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 4:37 pm     Thanks to all

Thanks to all who replied. I understand we're all built different, but I always feel that I learn from others' technique even if it wouldn't work for me personally.

Tim Herman

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 5:00 pm    

I am 6'. Bellybutton at 16. Guitar set with back legs a little higher that the front legs. 22 inch pacaseat. Play around until you feel comfortable, and be ready to tweak that as you go.

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 5:30 pm    

I don't know ..... I never thought about it. I just sit. I do know I had to lose the Goodrich pedal bracket because I like volume pedal angled.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 6:17 pm    

Like Paul said, everyone’s anatomy is different, so…
But one thing I have noticed over the years is that new players tend to sit at a spot where their right arm is off their torso by 3 or 4 inches, while most veteran players sit where they have their right arm pretty much tight, or close up against their right side.
YMMV…

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 9:01 pm     How do you sit

I sit with my belly button in line with the 16th fret, And angled a little to the left. Reason 1. The first steel I had, Required me to sit in this position to get both knees between the 4 knee levers, and feet to pedals & VP. Reason 2. It makes it easier to go below fret 12 to "Huey Land" and keep my bar square on the strings. My left wrist just won't bend far enough and be comfortable. Having a seat at the right height is important to. I had to cut 1 1/2 inches off a new seat I got to be comfortable.
It is important to be comfortable to sit for hours and practice. Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 11:55 pm    

No "one size fits all" when it comes to seating position etc, and not everyone can adjust everything regarding PSG and seat to suit their bodies. The following are some of my thoughts and experiences over 35+ years.

As I am one of those who don't mind modifying any and all music-gear to suit me, I have over the years made several "adjustments" to PSGs as well as seats to suit my aging body. It can only get worse… Very Happy

I prefer a seat that is a little on the high side, with firm top (one I don't sink into) and no back support. All Pac-A-Seats I own or have tested are too soft, but if/when it bothers me I put a thin (1/2in) and hard "pillow" on top.

As I'm about 5.7 and don't have long legs, I always move the right knee levers a couple of inches to the left from "standard" positions on my PSGs, and center my body around the 12th fret. As I at times pick alongside the bar all the way down the neck (for sound), such a centered seating-position suits me fine. I lower my PSGs and/or raise my seats until I can almost touch a vertical lever – a couple of my wide-body PSGs are angled backwards (towards me) to get it right.

About a decade ago, when I took up playing PSG again after a several year break, my chiropractor adviced me to sit slightly out of balance (near the edge on the seat) while practicing for precision and speed, as all parts of the body will naturally react faster when a little out of balance.
His advice worked quite well for me – initially. Precision is good, and speed acceptable in most cases.

Since I had surgery in my left foot a few years back to remove blood-cloths, which cut nerves so I can no longer feel the pedals through the shoe, I rely on "pure luck" and sight to hit the right one(s). My favorite single-neck PSGs have 5 pedals, so no use anchoring that foot on the floor for long. Playing without shoes feels like having nails driven into my left foot every time I hit a pedal, so not an option either. Most of the time I hit the intended pedal(s), and it's getting better with practice.

Anyway, whatever consideration one has to make to make the most out of PSG playing, acceptable compromises can be found.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 5:03 am    

I sit with feet wider because of a foot/ankle injury.
Not recommended but...

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 1:57 pm    

Pretty much squared but reangled the LKL and RNR to fit my knees..Larry

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 3:53 pm    

Ken Metcalf wrote:
I sit with feet wider because of a foot/ankle injury.
Not recommended but...

Did you move your knee levers? If I sat like that at my MSA Classic, I think both my knees would be outside the levers.

--Al Evans

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 4:16 pm    

Al
No but the new MSAs have super easy to adjust levers and pedals.
Pretty much standard set up.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 9:48 pm     Seat Position.

I set off center to the right of the 12th fret, and lean a little to the right so I can see the frets better. I don’t have to see the pedals, but if I set up straight I have trouble seeing my bar position.

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 3:35 pm    

Hunched over with a slight drool.

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 4:17 pm    

Jerry Horch wrote:
Hunched over with a slight drool.
Don't get your strings rusty.

Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2018 8:57 am    

Over to the right side just a bit more and unfortunately...sloutched over.

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2018 3:43 pm    

Fred Glave wrote:
Over to the right side just a bit more and unfortunately...sloutched over.

Yeah, I got the "slouched over" part down almost immediately. Rolling Eyes

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 12:42 am    

Straight on, Arms in, left foot hovers over AB mostly I think.