The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bar and String Noise
Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 8:14 am    

In another context on the electronics forum, someone recommended that the only way to overcome noise from picks, bar, and strings was through proper technique.

While I certainly agree with this, I am working on an arrangement for Cryin' Time that has ended up with multiple long slides (fret 10 to 3, for example) with three strings in action. I would be happier if I made a lot less noise sliding down the strings.

I tried cleaning the strings off real well, but they're getting old. The bar I have is the one I got with the guitar, from the guy who sold it to me. It looks like chrome, not stainless. My technique -- well, I'm new to pedal steel. But working hard and making progress.

So I'd appreciate any advice, whether about technique, bars, strings, EQ, or whatever!

Thanks!

--Al Evans

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 8:24 am    

Never use a stainless steel bar with stainless steel strings.
A nickel bar with nickel strings are the most quiet. Very Happy
Erv

Todd Blair

Richmond Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 8:32 am    

What I am trying to describe is referred to as Left Hand Blocking:
Most of the string & slide noise that I have encountered are a result of the tone bar dragging across the wound lower strings. I use my left thumb to mute (cover) the lower strings that aren't being played, to limit the unwanted noise. I typically keep a small portion of the tone bar "in action".

Richard Stoops

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 10:11 am     string noise

I use flat wound strings on my regular 6 string guitars because of the noise that fingers make on round wound guitars. I've not seen flat wound steel, so I suppose there is a reason for that. If so, why won't flat wound strings work on a PSG?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 10:54 am     Re: string noise

Richard Stoops wrote:
I use flat wound strings on my regular 6 string guitars because of the noise that fingers make on round wound guitars. I've not seen flat wound steel, so I suppose there is a reason for that. If so, why won't flat wound strings work on a PSG?

Most players don't like the "dead" tone of flatwounds, even when they're used on straight guitars. With proper technique, you can't hear the sliding bar noises on steel like those caused by your fingers on a straight guitar.

Check out this clip featuring Curly Chalker. Can you hear any bar or string noise as he glisses these notes on and on up the neck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Smv6uk5W4

How about on this John Hughey song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvFYj9-LU80

Or this one featuring Paul Franklin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAHfcqzhag0

Pick harder, and mute the strings you're not playing! (Including the strings behind the bar.) The sound of the notes will cover up those noises you're hearing.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 11:19 am    

Bar and string noise -- and pedal noise, for that matter -- are part of the instrument, for better of worse.

They are usually only a problem for those playing softly in a bedroom situation; these noises stand out in relation to the music coming out of your amp when everything is at very low volume. At public-performance volume, these artifacts are masked by the roar coming from your brilliant playing, and the noise made by the annoying drummer. The only thing you might hear through the amp is bass string noise if you don't have your bar-hand thumb sitting on the fattest wound strings during a slide. So like Todd said, keep that thumb in contact with those low strings with the coarse, fat windings. And as Donny said, keep the fingers down to mute behind the bar. If you still have a problem, yes, an overly-treble amp setting will accentuate the slide noise.

So... if your bar hand is muting strings correctly, you can turn everything up a few notches and be happy that the artifacts magically vanished. Or play softly and accept that these unwanted sounds are really always there and can't be completely removed.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 1:25 pm    

If you have already taken the advice given by these gents, and are still having a problem, there is one more non traditional technique you can try. Slide the bar forward toward the high strings, and off the wound strings. PSG players are focused on keeping the bar off the unused high strings for muting. Sometimes the lowest strings are causing more trouble than the high. I don’t recommend this as a standard technique, but it will stop the noise.
John

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 2:02 pm    

Tucker Jackson wrote:
So like Todd said, keep that thumb in contact with those low strings with the coarse, fat windings.

John Goux wrote:
Slide the bar forward toward the high strings, and off the wound strings.

Ah, that'd be the problem then... the gliss is on strings 6-8-10.

Blocking 7 and 9 didn't seem to help. Cleaning the strings helped some.

I can't really use the left thumb anyway, which would work otherwise. I lost it many years ago.

I'll figure something out. Very Happy

--Al Evans

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 3:07 pm    

Al,
You don't need any special blocking or gizmos. It is a matter of holding the bar relaxed and putting the right amout of pressure on each string.

https://youtu.be/BrdJEhXk3Gk

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 3:48 pm    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
Al,
You don't need any special blocking or gizmos. It is a matter of holding the bar relaxed and putting the right amout of pressure on each string.

https://youtu.be/BrdJEhXk3Gk

Thank you!

--Al Evans

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2018 7:15 am    

I all my years of playing I have never done any blocking with my left thumb.
The only sound you should hear are from the strings are are picked, no need to block the other ones. Very Happy
Erv

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2018 8:18 am     Update, upshot

After reading all these posts, and especially seeing the video from Bob Hoffnar, I realized that I was getting anomalous results.

I'm not playing through a "normal" amp, but rather through a preamp emulator in a Boss GT-1 multieffects unit into a full-range PA speaker (Mackie SRM350).

For whatever reason, I had assumed the GT-1 altered the frequency curve appropriately for the selected cabinet emulation. Apparently not.

So I added a parametric EQ to the signal chain and set the high cut to -20 dB (as far as it would go). This should give me a response curve similar to that of a Peavey Black Widow or similar JBL, down 15-20 dB at 6 kHz.

Since I was adding an EQ anyway, I also cleaned up the bass a little. Huge improvement all around.

Thanks you all!

--Al Evans

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 2:07 pm    

I normally play a 12-string E9, but when doing sessions when I feel use of the bottom 2 strings won't be called for, I loosen those strings and tuck them between necks of my D-12 (held in place with pieces of a sponge), and that cuts down the excessive noise from sliding across wound strings that sometimes plagues me.

Other times I use my right hand fingers to lay on top of the lower strings prior to a big slide, killing the noise that way.