The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Starting Out with Excitement and Trepidation
Nathan Carroll

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 9:32 am    

I'm finally giving in to 5 years of itch and diving into the pedal steel guitar. I come from a six-string rock background, but as of late, have been smitten with country and western and particularly the playing of Bud Emmons and Al Perkins. I've posted in the instruments wanted section, looking for a previously-owned first instrument.

I am wondering about how best to take on learning to play. I am soberly aware of the challenge and subsequent hard work that lay before me, but also don't want to go about learning back assward. I have begun to try to connect with other players here in my corner of the great white north and will hopefully be able to glean some meaningful instruction from some of them, but I also know that I will have to seek out some instruction on my own. I have seen videos and books and the like all over the net and I wonder if some of you more experienced players could harken back to the days when you were in my shoes and reccomend to me the resources that really moved you forward as you learned the pedal steel.

Any and all advice to get me started will be appreciated as I flounder about as a beginner in this whole thing.

Thanks!

------------------
Nathan Carroll

Nathan Delacretaz

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 9:38 am    

My fellow Nathan (2 steel enthusiasts named Nathan in the same post, wow!) -

First, good luck as you begin this wonderful instrument. I have been at it seriously for just over 3 years and I can tell you: you won't regret it.

By all means, seek a teacher for at least a lesson or two. Seeing -- not just hearing -- a human being operate this crazy instrument was a necessary frst step for me.

Have you been in contact with your fellow Albertan Jeff Bradshaw? I think you can still find him at www.countrypickin.com... I met him at his shop while driving through Alberta on vacation a few years ago - great guy with an impressive little shop. Don't know what he carries in the startup steel dept., but he's sure to have some course materials, suggestions, words of wisdom.

Best,
Nathan
Austin, TX

[This message was edited by Nathan Delacretaz on 23 August 2005 at 10:39 AM.]

[This message was edited by Nathan Delacretaz on 23 August 2005 at 10:43 AM.]

Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 9:55 am    

Nathan,

I've been at it only 5 years and I can tell you that I feel excitement and trepidation every time I sit behind my steel.

The services of a teacher, or mentor, are invaluable and you should locate one as soon as possible so as not to start off by learning some bad habits.

There are many other things that other forum members will tell you and all will be good advice. But, this one thing mentor/teacher) will make more difference than anything. It's a complex instrument and requires focus, discipline, tenacity, patience, time and heart.

With that, you are entering the wonderful world of steel, shared by relatively few.

Best Wishes
Tony

[This message was edited by Tony Orth on 23 August 2005 at 10:55 AM.]

[This message was edited by Tony Orth on 23 August 2005 at 10:56 AM.]

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 12:02 pm    

welcome nathan. I too am new to steel. played guitar or forty years. sitting behind my first steel was scary and exciting.
well, really not scary.
I found the years of standard guitar playing helped. it removed some fear when I heard the familiar notes.
I got two videos from this site. they were pretty good to start. just the basics.

just yesterday and today I have begun to make connections to steelers in my area. I look forward to the experience.

the main thing is to have at it. playing is so much fun and the sounds good and bad are great.

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 12:22 pm    

It helps to be a little bit crazy. Welcome to the adventure of a lifetime (or several lifetimes)

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 2:26 am    

Welcome Nathan,

Two bits of advice:

Get some of Jeff Newman's instruction www.jeffran.com

Practice practice practice!!

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 3:36 am    

I have only been playing for 50 years and it is still new to me. I can learn something new everyday if my brain can find a new place to store it..........JD

Nathan Carroll

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 12:58 pm    

Thanks for all of the input! I certainly will be trying to hook up with other steel players in the Edmonton area to begin learning. Does anyone know someone in this area? Jeff Bradshaw is a couple hours south, but other than him, i'm not plugged in enough to know who else is around.

Also, are there any other recommended learning resources (books, videos, etc.)?

------------------
Nathan Carroll

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 1:59 pm    

confidence (kon' fi dens) n. That mental characteristic which most quickly disappears when one takes up learning the pedal steel. (see also - "frustration")

Lead guitar player (last year) "I just bought a pedal steel! I think that, since I play guitar already, it'll be pretty easy to learn".

Lead guitar player (this year) "You wouldn't know anyone who'd like to buy a pedal steel, would you?"

Dave Baldwin

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 9:57 am    

welcome nat look at thread on steel players under my thread green players the name is bob blair hes in edm or if i can help just drop me a email dave

Stan Knowles

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 7:23 pm    

Welcome to the forum Nathan. I would suggest you get in touch with Jeff for pickers in your area. Greg Derksen comes to mind as I think he is from your neck of the woods. As for home lessons, I would suggest anything by Jeff Newman. If I can be of any help, feel free to drop me a line.

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 7:47 pm    

Welcome Nathan Your right you are in for a huge challenge.But it will be one of the most enjoyable ones you will ever experience.The more you learn,the more you will want to learn.Steel for the fun of it.