The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question about the D'Addario NYXL strings
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 1:14 am    

With regard to the solderless cable kit,I have done a few internet searches and find that Planet Waves have sets which (upon closer inspection)are D'Addario on the package, Are Planet Waves and D'addario the same company.
Best regards
Billy

Tom Spaulding

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 4:39 am    

Billy Murdoch wrote:
With regard to the solderless cable kit,I have done a few internet searches and find that Planet Waves have sets which (upon closer inspection)are D'Addario on the package, Are Planet Waves and D'addario the same company.
Best regards
Billy

Yes, same company, currently transitioning name to “D’Addario”.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 6:29 am    

Thanks Tom
Billy

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 10:00 am    

After trying the regular D'addario set on my gigging guitar (S12 ext E9) I replaced an almost new set of GLs on my practice guitar with the D'addario, goodby GLs.

BF

Kyd Brenner

Washington, DC/Harman WV
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 11:48 am    

Let's see, if these last Franklin two weeks I'll probably get three months out of them!

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 5:30 pm    

Hmm...it's looking like I should probably re-think this one a bit. It can't be taken lightly that both Travis and Paul are swung over so strongly to the NYXL strings. Not that I was discounting everyone else's testimonials, it's just that the packaging raises my hackles. Guess I'll have to try them out at some point though.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 9:01 pm    

For what it's worth, I prefer the new "Nitro-pack" GHS packaging, with each string individually sealed in nitrogen. I use singles instead of sets because I have an unusual tuning. D'Addario seals the NYXL sets, but not the NYXL singles.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 9:07 pm    

Billy Murdoch wrote:
Best regards
Billy

I believe so. The Planet Waves products are in D'Addario's catalog. I think that Planet Waves is a brand name that D'Addario owns, like Gretsch and the the Sho~Bud brand.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 9:37 pm    

Bill Miller wrote:
Hmm...it's looking like I should probably re-think this one a bit. It can't be taken lightly that both Travis and Paul are swung over so strongly to the NYXL strings. Not that I was discounting everyone else's testimonials, it's just that the packaging raises my hackles. Guess I'll have to try them out at some point though.

I really think you’ll be happy you tried them. You saw Paul’s testimony about their longevity. I am experiencing the same thing. I typically change my strings as soon as crystal clear harmonics start getting more difficult to achieve. There comes a certain point in string life where I can tell that they’ve peaked and are heading downhill. Honestly, I just changed a set on my new MSA that had been on there for WEEKS, and they still weren’t dead yet. I know a lot of guys have sets on for months at a time, and think it’s crazy that Paul or myself might change our strings weekly/bi weekly...but we’re likely putting in considerably more hours on a set in a shorter amount of time than the average player. If I only do 1 session a day, that’s 3 hours of playing. 2 sessions would be 6 hours. If I did 2 sessions and a gig that evening, that might be 10 hours in 1 day. When you start doing that every day, strings wear out quickly. I can 100% say that I’ve never played strings that last and stay true as long as these do. Half the time I’m changing them, just because I feel like I should be changing them, not even because they’re dead yet.

-t

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 6:25 pm    

I put on two sets of NYXL's on my two telecasters and they sound great. Also put a set on my 12 string E9/C6 Excel and they seem fine but can't comment yet on the longevity. I agree with others that I would prefer them to be in individual packages. I didn't have any trouble handling the color codes but considering the premium price, the whole experience would feel more premium if they were in individual packages. and I wouldn't have to separate and identify them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2018 9:35 am    

I tried a set on my Emmons bolt on. They sound great. Tuned up nice.I really like them so far. The color coded ball ends were not an issue. Tom, thanks again...........Bill

Last edited by Bill Lowe on 14 Apr 2018 6:10 am; edited 3 times in total

Ronald Moore

Mindoro, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2018 4:50 am    

Jeff Newman's advice for 12 string Universal players: If you can't get a 12 string set, get a C6th set and get a .013 and a .015 for the top two strings. I don't know if there is a price advantage or not, but the gauges work out very close giving you a .012 for the third string. Check it out.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 5:22 am    

Why do they only sell you 4 singles strings maximum?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2018 6:37 am    

Chris,

Inventory balancing. I found that I can't keep fresh strings in stock if I allow people to buy unlimited quantities. I order about once a month. It takes a week or more to get a shipment. I hate it when something is out of stock, and there's no way to predict which strings will suddenly be gobbled up by one customer if I don't limit the quantity.

Besides, especially with these NYXL singles which are not in sealed packages, you shouldn't buy a year's supply at once.

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 4:45 am    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
Just to clarify.

I like these strings, but they would seem to be way more expensive buying individual guages.

And for the record, George L's Stainless Strings are still available.

I get all giggly when Bill gets clear..... Very Happy Laughing Laughing

They are the best sounding strings ive ever played. Really enjoyed the feedback I get from them when I play.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 5:19 am    

As in my thread about the NYXL's, I'm a "convertee".

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 6:49 pm    

Been using them for 3 or 4 months myself and so far I like them (not the same set for the 4 months though hehe) ... nice full bodied tone, and durability without losing their sparkle - so far so good!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 10:20 am    

The gauges of a standard set of NYXL’s all match the set I have currently on my Stage One, except string 6.

Quote from the tuning instructions that came with my guitar:
“Use of a .022 WOUND is HIGHLY recommended for string six as it helps the overall sound and playability of the guitar.”

The NYXL string six is .020P. I guess I could try it and see what happens...

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 10:50 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
The gauges of a standard set of NYXL’s all match the set I have currently on my Stage One, except string 6.

Quote from the tuning instructions that came with my guitar:
“Use of a .022 WOUND is HIGHLY recommended for string six as it helps the overall sound and playability of the guitar.”

The NYXL string six is .020P. I guess I could try it and see what happens...

You will need to retune the pedal, at least. You might need to move the 6th string rod on your B pedal to a different slot. Or you could just buy a .022w. www.steelguitarshopper.com/daddario-nyxl-022-nickel-wound/

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 11:45 am    

Thanks, b0b.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 12:15 pm    

I'm another convert. NYXLs are the best I've tried. Worth the extra money, and the packaging doesn't bother me.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 4:16 pm    

For U-12 players using the NYXL C6 set. Start with the 12th string and work your way down to the the 3rd string. You can get the NYXL .012 and .015 singles for the first and second. A friend that works in a music store gave me a set. Nice vibe.....

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 6:39 am    

My opinion means Squat, but I agree with all the positive statements made here as they’re my experience as well... Besides that, how else do you get this back to the Front Page? Confused
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

MIchael Bean

North Of Boston
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 8:31 am    

The D'Addario color coating is pretty logical and effortless, once you get into it. Once you have a set on there, you just put back the same color that you took off . It's worth doing it for the quality and tone of their strings.

Ronald & Len, that's a good idea about using the C6 set on the U12, and then adding the high strings. I've been adding low strings to an E9 set and discarding the D. That's got me thinking...

Tom Spaulding, nice to see you here on the Forum!

MB

Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 4:53 am     Roy G. Biv

What about him? Coulda used the natural order of colors in the spectrum like the resistor color code.,BBROYGBVGW