The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beginner question about 6 vs. 8 string
Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 10:07 pm    

Not sure what is happening here but need to make it clear.

E13 was an absolute huge part of the western swing sound.

Its chord versatility, close intervals was the driving factor of its use.

10 or 12 strings is not harder to play than 6 nor does it hold you back. In fact it affords you more options period. Would this idea make sense if I said pedal steel.

A good tuning I agree needs some lower voicings to play Western swing.

Western swing was a mixture of swing, jazz and country tunes. Hence why all the greats loved Jazz. Tom Morrell went as far as playing famous Jazz songs but renaming them Western swing titles for his audiences' benefit.

There are 2 approaches mainly to lapsteel.

Learn one versatile tuning 10/12 strings, use one neck, have one guitar

or

Learn many tunings that changes per song, use multiple necks , have loads of different guitars

Both are valid routes you just have to decide which seems the one you would like to follow.

I prefer the 1st route as I tried the 2nd route and got frustrated with how impractical it was always being limited by strings and changing tunings for songs or chords. Seemed counter-intuitive to me.

You have to decide what works for you.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 12:37 am    

Personally I prefer 8 string both on C6 and E13. I have a 6 string New Yorker but it rarely comes out of the case. The National console however is always set up. I also have a stripped pedal steel tuned to C6 with high G and D but the National console wins every time. Eight strings feels really comfortable and the wider spacing helps and I use that high G quite a bit on C6.

Roman Sonnleitner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 1:03 pm    

Well, couldn't have said it better than Todd - that 5th on top really is VERY helpful when soloing, doing double stops, etc.
And to add something that hasn't been mentioned yet - one of the most beautiful aspects of 6th tunings is that you can do both major and minor triads with a straight bar; but with a 6-string C6 tuning, depending on the key you're in, your root note for minor chords might be in a really high register - an 8-string tuning with a low 6th offers much more options for choosing a register that will sound good in a band arrangement, regardless of the key you are in...

Will Slack

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2018 5:33 am    

I don't have a ton of experience, but I am a beginner (playing about 6 months) who went through the same conundrum. Going to 8 strings was a bit confusing at first, but it honestly clicks in fairly quickly. Also, you can get an 8 string and take off 2 strings at first if they're really stumping you.

If you do go with an 8 string, a lot of tab and instructional material is for 6 string. I recommend drawing in two empty lines (representing the 2 extra strings) when reading 6 string tab.

You could always get a cheap 6 string to get started while keeping your eye out for an 8.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 1:42 am    

Surely this is a bit of a no-brainer.

The original poster says he already has three 6 string lap steels he has never even played. Surely it makes most sense to invest in a set of new strings for one of those to see if he even likes playing it before buying an 8 stringer (or a double eight).

Many people find that steel guitar just isn't for them. You won't have to "unlearn" anything if you move to 8 strings (I move backwards and forwards between my 6 and 8 string steels all the time).

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2018 9:10 am    

Jeff Mead wrote:
Surely this is a bit of a no-brainer.

The original poster says he already has three 6 string lap steels he has never even played. Surely it makes most sense to invest in a set of new strings for one of those to see if he even likes playing it before buying an 8 stringer (or a double eight).

Many people find that steel guitar just isn't for them. You won't have to "unlearn" anything if you move to 8 strings (I move backwards and forwards between my 6 and 8 string steels all the time).

Well put!

And like you I switch between them all the time, but I play my 6 string steels more often than my 8. They are fun and convenient.