The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question about the D'Addario NYXL strings
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 5:48 am    

For those who have tried them, are the strings in these sets in individual envelopes or are are they all jumbled together in a plastic bag ( with only color coded ball ends to identify the gauges ) like the other D'Addario guitar strings? I just barely tolerate that system in a six string set, but for a set of ten pedal steel strings it would be a deal breaker. No envelopes, no buy.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 5:55 am    

I was given a set in Dallas to try but sortof forgot about them.

I just opened them. They are all in one package and color coded.

I sure don't like that concept. How do you handle carrying spares?

I will just stay with my tried and true George L's.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 6:14 am    

I had a set of those for my Telecaster. Couldn't tell any difference between them and standard Nickle guitar strings (and I use D'Addario or GHS for 6 string). I hate the color coded ball ends.

Like Bill, I'll stick with my George L's for steel.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 2:30 pm    

Thanks to both of you for the replies. That's all I need to know. I'm not fiddling around with a boar's nest of strings like that. It's kind of a pity, I'd like to have tried them out.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 4:07 pm    

For another opinion, I’ve been using the D’Addarrio color code system for 20 years and it is no problem. The legend is printed on the envelope and the colors become obvious to you in little time.

D’Addarrio is one of the superior string companies. Incredibly consistent in intonation and QC. They package the strings in a responsible way for the sake of our environment.
With the strings being such high quality, I find it silly that anyone would pass on them because they don’t like that packaging.

As for the NYXLs vs the traditional nickel strings, there is clearly a difference.
The NYXLs are louder and have more upper mid presence. They also have a bit more tension. On my Williams they made a significant difference, a big improvement, and it is worth the extra money to me. On my Zum, not so much.

My only criticism about the NYXL strings is the price.

I think all the string companies should make Ext E9 12 string sets, and every company I’ve tried makes you buy the low strings separately. That is a gripe against all of them.

On electric guitar, I personally don’t like the extra string tension. So I will use the same D’Addario nickel strings I have been using for 30 years.

I would bet Paul Franklin changes his own strings every day. I don’t hear him complaing about the packaging. While string choice is a personal thing, I would never make a decision based on the packaging. Our tone and intonation is too important.

John

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 4:19 pm    

I'm no expert, but they're the best strings I've ever used.

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 4:25 pm    

Like Bill I was given a set @ the Dallas Show the jury is still out on them and in regards to the color coding I don't have a problem with it but there are color blinded people that paly and I see it would create a problem for them. I would rather they be in individual packages though.
And that my friends is my 2 cents.

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 5:15 pm    

Their customer service is the best I've ever seen. I had a 012 break, and they sent me a new set with extra 012's.

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 5:29 pm    

If you buy NYXL's as singles, they are NOT colour coded and the gauge is on the packet as per other strings

Tom Spaulding

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 6:05 pm    

I was the guy giving them out in Dallas, and thanks to all who stopped by the booth to get their two free sets of NYXL strings...and extra thanks to Mike Sweeney for hauling the remainders back to Nashville! It was nice to meet you all and hear so many great players.

Many of you also got a chance to check out our solderless cable, too. I made hundreds of feet of guitar-to-pedal cables and gave them away that weekend as samples.

Greg is correct, if you find that the environmentally-friendly packaging is a bother, you can still enjoy the superior tone, pitch stability and extra longevity of NYXL strings by purchasing them as singles in the most popular gauges right here on the SGF from b0b's store.

We offer NYXL plain singles from gauges .007 to .026 including many half-gauges.

Our NYXL wounds are available in gauges .017 to .080.

Thanks,

Tom Spaulding
D'Addario and Company

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 7:30 pm    

D’Addario NYXLs are the best strings made right now, and the best I’ve ever used. Incredible tuning stability and exceptionally long lasting. The color coding system and packaging is pretty dang straight forward, but I get it if you’re not used to it. As Tom said, you can just purchase the individual gauges that you need. I will say this though, for me, the benefit of NOT having them in individual envelops is that they’re vacuum sealed. I don’t have to worry about strings getting that not so fresh feeling before I get a chance to use them. All I can say is, if you haven’t tried these strings because of the packaging, you’re missing out.

-t

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2018 10:49 pm     NYXL’s.

I put a set of these on Sept. 21st 2017. As of this last Sat. night, I’ve played 22gigs on my E9 neck without breaking a string or retuning the knee levers. The regular sets of ProSteels never ever lasted that long with consistent tone and tuning stability. So, I spend $15 on a set of the NYXL’s as opposed to $9 for ProSteels. These NYXL’s have already lasted twice what the cheaper sets will do, and I’m gonna see if they’ll go 30 or more gigs. Being color blind is a real problem on a dark stage with these strings, fortunately I haven’t broken one in yrs., but if I do, I carry a box of old singles that will get me thru. A couple of yrs. ago, I had a set of D’Addario ProSteels with the strings all jumbled up in the package. It was a total NIGHTMARE, laying out each individual string, measuring with a micrometer, to find out where they go. Imagine trying to figure that out on a dark stage. I’m definitely not a fan of the color coded ball ends. I restrung a friends Les Paul last week with Ernie Ball strings in individual envelopes and in a sealed package. The first thing I thought of, was WHY can’t D’’ADDARIO do this? I guess it’s just easier to wrap two strings together and hopefully you’ve got the right two, throw’em in a package and let the customer sort it out. The 6string sets aren’t bad, but the 10string sets should be put in individual envelopes and sealed up.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 4:42 am     Psg

I tried three sets of the strings but had to learn the color code system. I'll continue to use the Live Steel Strings, as I've been. I prefer the sets with the gauges on each one. Saves time for me.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 4:47 am    

Tom Spaulding wrote:

Many of you also got a chance to check out our solderless cable, too.

I really like these cables. I've been in the habit of making up my own cables for years. I use Canare cable and Neutrik connectors. The D'Addario cables are just as quiet, and can be made quickly. And I don't have to solder anything!

--Al Evans

Tim Mathews

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 5:48 am     I like em

Was a George L stainless user for years. They are no longer available.
I’m on my 4th set of these . Very happy. Tone is consistent and in AB with my last set of George L’s ? Overtones seem to be more apparent.

Been playing their acoustic strings for years so the color code thing is a non starter.

Really like that they are sealed in plastic . No corrosion!

And as others have said. Singles are still individually marked and packed.

The final piece was I can buy them through the forum!

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 6:48 am    

Just to clarify.

I like these strings, but they would seem to be way more expensive buying individual guages.

And for the record, George L's Stainless Strings are still available.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 7:34 am    

Quote:
If you buy NYXL's as singles, they are NOT colour coded and the gauge is on the packet as per other strings

Now that seems very odd. There are two production runs of these special property strings, one run with colored ball ends and another run with traditional ball ends to package in envelopes? In that case it doesn't seem like much of a jump to offer the full sets in envelopes.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 8:46 am    

Tom...

Why can't D'Addario offer 12 string E9 Extended sets? And would that be cheaper than having to buy singles for the 11th and 12th strings? I paid close to $28 for one set after adding almost $8 for the 2 extra strings and shipping.

Tom Spaulding

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 10:32 am    

Quote:
Why can't D'Addario offer 12 string E9 Extended sets? And would that be cheaper than having to buy singles for the 11th and 12th strings? I paid close to $28 for one set after adding almost $8 for the 2 extra strings and shipping.

Hi Richard-

Unfortunately, we don't run across many music stores that will even stock both the ProSteel and NYXL sets. They simply do not have the wall space for what they consider a specialized item as pedal steel guitar strings. That was the reason I asked D'Addario to send me to Dallas - to spread the word and hand out sample sets to those interested in trying them. Judging by the conversations I had, some players had never heard about NYXLs, particularly the European attendees.

Most stores will stock a majority of the D'Addario, Ernie Ball, Dean Markley, GHS, Elixir, DR, etc. six-string sets, but I've never seen every brand's pedal steel sets represented in one brick-and-mortar store. It's typically us, GHS or Ernie Ball. A store that stocks them all may exist, but not in my experience. This has created a great opportunity for online retailers like b0b to fill that gap.

We are considering ways to offer more niche sets like a U-12 set (and lap steel sets) in a cost-effective manner, and my guess is that it would likely be as a Private Label version.

I'll certainly pass along the contents and suggestions from this thread to the NY guys, we appreciate all of the feedback.

Tom Spaulding

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 11:50 am     Black and Green

Thought this might help:

Here is the back of the string package with the color codes.

Here's what they look like right out of the package:

5 coils of two strings each. Strings are grouped in consecutive pairs.

Strings 10-9 and 8-7 are wound.
Strings 6-5 and 4-3 and 2-1 are plain.

MEMORY TRICK
The thickest wounds (10 and 9) are Brass and Red.
The second thickest wounds (8 and 7) are Black and Green

The thickest plains (6 and 5) are Brass and Red
The second thickest plains (4 and 3) are Black and Green

I always change two strings at a time, so there is no confusion. Remove strings 10 and 9, replace with first coil. Repeat until done.

I should mention that joining our loyalty program (Player's Circle) gets you free gear over time and we offer a no-charge string recycling program called Playback for members.

Details here: https://playerscircle.daddario.com/

Thanks!

Tom

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 7:48 pm    

I've been using them for about two months now and am quite impressed with them - I have used the heavier "PF" Nickel gauges for several years now, but have found the NYXL's to be outstanding for tone and feel, and very smooth under the bar. Very Happy Great to meet you too Tom - thanks for the couple of packs of strings and the solderless cable - much appreciated.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Last edited by Paddy Long on 3 Apr 2018 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 8:04 pm    

Hey Tom, great to meet you at Dallas and thanks for the strings! Haven't installed them yet but it's high on the list. Just got home a few days ago. I'll be sure to feed back.
(Haven't forgotten about bringing over the sauce next year if I get there. Was it Masterfoods or Fountain brand???) LOL

Tom Spaulding

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 8:17 pm    

Jeff Spencer wrote:
Hey Tom, great to meet you at Dallas and thanks for the strings! Haven't installed them yet but it's high on the list. Just got home a few days ago. I'll be sure to feed back.
(Haven't forgotten about bringing over the sauce next year if I get there. Was it Masterfoods or Fountain brand???) LOL

Ha! Better bring one of each...I haven't made up my mind yet...though Fountain has the edge at present!

Hope you had a great visit to Texas, thanks for stopping by the booth.

Tom

Franklin

Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 9:42 pm    

Tom,
Here's my two cents.....Please tell D'Addario...I know the pedal steel is an extremely small niche market and to get any company as established as they are to help assist our instrument is pretty much non existent....I really appreciate their efforts with the Pedal Steel.

For guys like me, maintaining tone throughout a long string life is what we need. And with the NYXL's they delivered such a string...I have never broken a NYXL string and I am now leaving them on my guitar as long as two weeks. I believe the vacuum packaging contributes to the reason why this string is knocking it out of the park with tone and longevity...

Also tell your boss that in the past when I flew my guitar anywhere due to cabin pressure changes in the bottom of the plane, I would need to change the strings before I played the gig....As you know, flying guitars as cargo deadens the sound of strings.....With a new set of NYXL's I recently flew to LA, than San Francisco, than back to Nashville to play a couple of gigs with John Oates....I was amazed at how great my strings sounded at each gig. No longer will I have to change strings in each city after a flight...Here's the kicker....When I got back to Nashville I played with the Time Jumpers on Monday night and finished out a 10 session week, All with the same strings...That's Awesome!
Paul Franklin

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 10:23 pm    

Paul,
Never had a problem with the singles either. Even though they are not vacuum packed. Leave sets on for a lot longer than you do, no problems, still great tone with no degradation at all.
I reckon, just the best strings out there at the moment in my humble opinion