The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Pad
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 8:02 am    

I've decided to face the fact that I'm 73 years old with a creaky back and just cannot lift the D-10 BMI that I recently purchased from a friend. I've decided to remove all the C6th parts, turn it into an SD-10, add a pad and go to soft keyboard cases. I could probably make a pad myself but would be happier with one professionally made. So, who can I turn to to get one made? I'm thinking plywood base with 't' nuts and bolt through from the bottom, or, maybe some real good double sided carpet tape or even velcro. Suggestions?

I'm not in a position to just buy an SD-10 and I'm into the BMI light enough that I'm not worried about losing money - I just want get it to where I can tote it around without living on Tylenol (as I'm doing now!). Should be able to sell the parts, too. I don't play C6th anymore and don't intend to go back to it.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 10:26 am    

Contact forum member Don Blood. I bet he'd make just what you need.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 11:19 am    

Skip, why not sell the BMI as a complete D-10, and buy yourself a nice SD-10?

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 12:38 pm    

That was my first thought but most good SD-10s are out of my price range plus, I already own the BMI and it's a good guitar just too heavy for me. I spent today removing all the C6th stuff and cleaning and polishing - it's a '76 so it had some crud in it. It came out real nice and is plenty for me. Probably after I do a 48 show run of 'Patsy' this summer, I'll probably be through with steel - I'm not a bedroom player and there's NO country music around here. Playing once a month at our steel guitar club will not keep my chops up so I'll probably hang it up. I can always get another one if I get called to do 'Patsy' or 'Best Little Whorehouse'. Like our friend Roger Rettig, I've made a career out of those two shows.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 8:17 pm     Need Pad

I will make a suggestion. It is your choice.
The pad up along the key head is sort of useless as your arm does not go there. A wood tray with carved areas for bar, picks and tuning wrench to rest when not in use. Here is a picture of one I built for a S10 with bar holder On this MSA with 12 string key head, I could put my steel bar and Dobro Nylon on it at he same time, To switch from on to the other.

On the other end I put a metal standard loop and metal bar that holds my tuner where it stays when I am playing. Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Johnie Helms

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 10:48 pm    

Hi Skip,

Email sent

Thanks

JH

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2018 8:49 am    

What Paul said...Don Blood....A good product. Had one for a GFI.