The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  4th Pedal?
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 9:05 am    

I'm in the process of changing my D-10 BMI to an Sd-10. Since I have all these leftover parts I though about doing the Franklin pedal or something else nifty with a fourth pedal but am wondering if I'd even use it. I really don't play anything modern - mostly old Ray Price/Emmons shuffle stuff and the occasional instrumental (Look At Us, Nobody Answers, etc.). Do I even need another change? My setup is standard Emmons except 4&8 lower on RKL and 7&1 raise on LKR. I've got a LKV that I plan on using to raise 5&10 a half stop (same as 1/2 first pedal - augmented chord). I had that on my old PP years ago and miss having it. Any other suggestions for a fourth pedal or just stick to 3x5?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 11:55 am    

I've read a few posts lately saying "I have/am planning to have a 4th pedal - how should I use it?". To me this is back-to-front thinking if they haven't needed it up to now.

Skip, if you can only foresee playing basic stuff then stick with 3x5. If you change your mind you can always dig out some of those extra parts, but I bet it never happens. Defy the social pressure to have four pedals! Cool

Jon Irsik

Wichita, KS USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 12:34 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:
Defy the social pressure to have four pedals! Cool

All the cool kids are doing it! Laughing

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 1:29 pm    

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with 3x4 so that's how I put it back together. I'll probably save the LKV just in case, though.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 1:15 am    

By not adding it , isn't that logic the same as "I don't need to learn any new chords on guitar or piano " ?

Isn't playing music about a musician creating some originality or expression to what it is they are playing ?

Imagine for a moment if all the 3+1 players way back then on records had 4 + 5 ! They used what they had in front of them to the fullest.

I don't say run out and add the 4th ped, but I do say, DON'T NOT ADD IT because they didn't use it 40 years ago, because odds are, those cats WOULD have used it if it was invented !

Isn't that how we got to 3+4 then 3+5 ?

It's all about the music and what we can create isn't it ?

Question

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 7:34 am    

OK, I'm gonna keep the LKV and scratch the 4th pedal. Now, my setup is as follows:

LKL - raises 4&8 1/2 step
LKR - lowers 5&10 1/2 step
RKL - lowers 4&8 1/2 step
RKR - lowers 2 1/2 step

I'd like to use the LKV to raise 5 a 1/2 step for an augmented (1/2 first pedal) chord out a 'no pedals' position - anyone else do this? I can hit the 1/2 first pedal OK but it's nice to have a definite stop for it.

I'm open for suggestions....

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 8:34 am    

For aug chords skip.... press AB pedals and E raise lever, back up a fret, The chord repeats itself every four frets, keep lever and pedal engaged.

Ex) G aug, fret 2 pedals down E raise, works on all the standard string groupings.

Save that lever for another idea.

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 8:52 am    

Larry, I do that change but, for me, it's handy to have it available out of a 'no pedal' position. My '76 PP that I bought new had that change on it and I got used to using it. Of course, that guitar was 8x7 so there was a lot of stuff to play with. BTW, I turned the BMI into an Sd-10 with 3x5 - it cut down on the weight and I ordered soft cases so I should be good to go. I guess you get to keep our MSA for a while longer,

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 9:16 am    

The modern E9 tuning with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers was not invented by any one person. According to rumor, Buddy Emmons, Pete Drake Lloyd Green, Hal Rugg, Jimmy Day, and many of the other pioneers met every week at Jimmie Crawford's house to discuss different changes, which the guys would try out and see what worked and what did not.

The tuning is the result of this collaboration between these geniuses. And they got it right.

I say, learn everything you can on the standard 3 pedal E9, and at some future point, if you have some ideas for something that can only be done with an extra pedal, then put one on.

Bear in mind that people often add a change in order to accomplish something that can be done in other ways.

I have a zero pedal that lowers my G# strings to G natural. I use it about maybe .05% of the time.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 9:47 am    

Skip, I'm not familiar with the BMI mechanism, but on most all-pulls, if they don't have split screws, there's a way to get splits using an "extra" raise rod. So if you can physically press the A pedal and the "Bb" lower together, you can get a tuned C without having to add a separate C raise. I've never done this, so I can't give the specifics, but the info should be readily available here on the Forum.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 11:15 am    

Skip, I know what you mean about having that one thing, i have the vertical at 3 and 6 lowered half, it's my 'convenience lever' for quick and smooth transitions from Major to Minor especially on sustaining transitions, also considered a wasted lever by many, however for my limited style i find i like it more than other options or uses. I say add it back if it helps you be You.

Good work on the BMI Skip, those are great guitars...Phew, I get to keep the MSA some more! Very Happy Laughing