The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New to this Forum Gibson Console Grande restoration
Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 4:39 am    

I'm new here. Glad to be part of all this. The guitar in this video is a Gibson Console Grande that I bought as a basket case. I restored it myself. That included re-binding and re-finishing. The tuning on this tune is A6.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZxgyBLd-g

Last edited by Kevin Glandon on 20 Mar 2018 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 4:50 am    

Hi Kevin, Good to see you here. You are a talented guy. Mike

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 5:52 am    

Veryyy Nice guitar and nice playing.
Joe Elk Central Ohio

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 7:30 am    

Nice! I just came across that video the other day. Was thinking that binding looked awfully new and clean. In 60 years it will be yellow like mine Very Happy

Looks like you did some kind of bound rosewood fret boards?

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 7:55 am     Gibson Console Grand

Correct about the fretboards. The guitar had the original plastic fret boards. They weren't in great shape. I also always thought these version 3 consoles looked cheapened with the plastic boards. The earlier versions of the console had bound wood boards. I decided to make new fret boards for this guitar. I have the original plastic ones stored if I ever wanted to go period correct on this instrument. In 60 years the nitro finish on the restoration will be all lovely and ambered out, I'll also be dead! Can't have it all!

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 9:50 am    

Yeah, similar to how RAM guitars used a pre-war style rosewood fretboard on his Neo Grande for kind of a mixed aesthetic.

I'm sure Gibson got some cost savings out of the acrylic finger boards, which was always music to their ears. I think it also tied the guitar visually to its sibling Century and Ultratone models that had similar circuits. But the choice also reflected a mid-century modern aesthetic I think. A lot of mid-century stuff is an acquired taste at this point, but I do have some appreciation for it. But often these plastic boards have chipped or cracked corners or some pitting and corrosion coming through the paint on the backside. Mine happen to be in great shape with only minor spotting in the paint, although it looks like a stray cigarette ash melted a very small black pit in one fret. Character. Wink

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 1:18 pm    

Nice restoration Kevin. Really nice playing too. I'm already stealing some licks from your videos. Razz I need to replace about 3" of missing binding on my Console Grande. Do you recall what size you used and where you got it?

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 6:24 pm     Binding

The binding on the guitar is 3/8 inches x1/8 approximately. I made it from scratch as I wasn’t able to find any commercially available in the amount that I needed. I think you should be able to find what you need being you only need a small amount.
Thank you for your compliments on my playing. Grateful to hear that.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 8:44 pm     Gorgeous!

....And some gorgeous harmonics, too.

Couldn't help noticing your right leg working away. Is that a volume pedal, I assume?
If so, which one? If not--thank god you have no downstairs neighbors!

Super job. Post some pics of the guitar itself. Do you have before and after shots? I love those.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2018 4:08 am     Volume Pedal

Fortunately no downstairs neighbors! Actually I am using a volume pedal. It's an old Rowe-DeArmond model 602. I also use a Goodrich 120. I will post photos of the guitar itself. Thanks for asking.