The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel guitar on O'ahu
Levi Gemmell

New Zealand
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 2:46 pm    

I will be touching down in Honolulu for eight or nine days, beginning on Friday this week. Can anyone recommend spots to catch steel players on O'ahu?

I understand Bobby Ingano plays at Dot's in Wahiawa, but any other tips would be profoundly appreciated. A once in a lifetime opportunity for me!
Sho~Bud LDG SD-10
1966 Fender Super Reverb

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 5:27 pm    

HE PLAYS AT ANOTHER PLACE NEAR THE MARINA, BUT I DON'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF IT...

Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 9:57 pm    

The Bobby Ingano Trio performs at La Mariana Sailing Club Tuesday evenings .

La Mariana Sailing Club
www.lamarianasailingclub.com
50 Sand Island Access Rd, Honolulu, HI 96819

kay

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 5:39 am    

From a recent discussion with Alan Akaka:

"Jeff Au Hoy plays his steel at the Disney Aulani Resort Lūʻau I believe on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Saturday for sure that is if he is not on a concert tour. Otherwise another steel player will sit in. I play at Duke’s Waikiki every Friday. Bobby Ingano performs at two separate restaurants on Monday and Tuesdays. Greg Sardinha plays here and there."

Sometimes on or around Alfred Apaka's birthday they would have a little musical get together at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, which I want to go to next year on the 100th anniversary, if they have it. But haven't seen any information about this year. His birthday would be today, so I'll be playing some of his classics in his honor from over here in KC!

Levi Gemmell

New Zealand
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 11:56 am    

Bill, Kay, and Nic: Invaluable information, and like I stated in the OP, deeply appreciated. I intend to make the absolute most of my eight days and nights in Hawai'i, and it will be a dream come true for me to see and possibly even meet the artists you've mentioned.
Sho~Bud LDG SD-10
1966 Fender Super Reverb

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 12:05 pm    

Levi:

Every year or two, I'll have a wonderful dream about the islands even though I have not been there since 1985.

Regardless of any steel guitar consideration, go to the Halekulani Hotel's "House Without A Key" near sundown and ponder your life while sipping your drink of choice.

Take a good whiff on the interior of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and imagine it in say 1947 when I'd imagine most visitors still came by steamship.

Go to the Moana's banyan tree (if it is still there) and imagine David Keli'i and Jules Ah See up there.

Wish that you could travel back in time and see the sainted beachboy Chick Daniels do the Cocktail Shaker Hula, while Duke Kahanamoku, Panama, and Kalakaua Aylett look on: