The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  vintage gibson tidbit....
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 5:49 pm    

from an interview with one of the designers of the les paul guitar and the president of gibson guitars for a while...ted mcCarty. i thought this very interesting.

"I can remember that after that first year we came up with a number of guitars, and I thought, What am I going to do next year, what can I come up with that’s new? Well, in 1948 the most popular guitars we made were the lap model steel guitars—they were the quantity units. We still made the L-5 and the Super 400, but the big volume were these solidbodies.

They had started to make some designs for those things before I got there—a design company known as Barnes & Reinecke, in Chicago. [Notably, Gibson’s solid maple and plastic Ultratone/BR-1 steel, introduced in 1946.] Chicago was home plate for everything in those days, and that company designed the guitars that we were making at that time, the solid lap models."

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 6:04 pm    

Yes, Barnes & Reinecke designed industrial products... kitchen appliances, televisions, radios, washing machines, toasters, etc. Gibson was looking for a modern, post-war design for their lap steels, something radically different. BR came up with the Ultratone, Century 6, and other BR models. Perfect for the space age!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 6:25 am    

Barnes & Reinecke also designed the cabinets of some, if not all, of the early postwar Gibson amplifiers.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 10:21 am    

interesting that the lap steels were the big money makers and top selling guitars for the vaulted gibson co that year.