The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Please close
Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 6:30 am    

I am looking for a U12 guitar, preferably with the emmons setup....thanks jack

Last edited by Jack Goodson on 22 Mar 2018 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 8:54 am    

I think the Day setup is better on a uni. Having the A pedal next to the B6 ones is way more useful than the C.

On a C6 you need a lever (traditionally RKR) to raise the 3rd string C a half step. It's often used with P5 to get an A6 chord. There's no room for that on the uni, but you can get that raise as a split with A and the vertical; then A+V+5 gives you the A6. The A pedal has a melodic use as well - it's nice to be able to raise that same string a whole step independently of P7.

Last edited by Ian Rae on 18 Mar 2018 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 9:37 am     Setup?

I appreciate the advice but I have played several u/12 guitars with the emmons and there is no way after 40 years that I could play day setup....jack

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 9:42 am    

Fine Jack - understood - but you did say "preferably"!

Good luck with your search Smile

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 9:45 am     Preferably?

The reason I said preferably is if it was day I can change the setup if I liked the guitar....thanks jack

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 11:58 am    

I totally get that now. Still, I enjoyed writing my essay... Smile

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 12:44 pm     No problem

I know what you mean, I am just trying to find a u/12 due to weight. I am not a great c 6th player, but I play just enough to want it there....thanks jack

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 1:00 pm    

Unis vary a great deal in weight (as do all PSGs, I suppose) so if that's important to you be sure to ask.

My first uni was homemade because I couldn't afford to buy one. It sounds good but it turned out almost as heavy as the D10 it replaced! I now have an Excel which is unbelievably light. I'm not an expert, but I know for instance that Sierras are heavy and Williams's are light.

Other more knowledgeable folk will I'm sure chip in with recommendations for lighter models.

And I know what you mean about C6 - it's not called upon much but I'd feel naked without it.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 1:03 pm     U/12

I would love to find a good used excel, I had one a few years back. They sound and play good.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 4:27 pm     U/12?

I am open to excels, Sierra, Williams, etc, etc....thanks jack

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 7:05 am    

I have a new G2 in stock 7 Pedals and 5 knees. Whatever setup you need included.
(970) 664-2518
sales@mullenguitars.com
www.mullenguitars.com

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 7:27 am     G2?

Mike, thanks but it is probably a little out of reach of my bank account....jack

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2018 5:06 pm     Still searching

For a u/12, or a light weight d/10?

Rich Cottle

Sacramento California
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 10:01 am     Universal 12

Hi my name is Rich and I have been playing the universal 12 for about 30 years, I started in 1972 with a single 10 and played just the E9th then Tom Bradshaw talked me into buying his 12 string MSA

I have come a long way from that, Jeff Newman is my real teacher, God bless Jeff Newman one hell of a picker, RIP Jeff, anyhow Jeff used the Day setup and that was fine for him cause that's where he started, but after playing for 20 years with the Emmons setup there's no way that I would switch, besides what difference does it make, it just means you wiggle your leg one way opposed to the other

Unlike Jeff Newman that had a long up lever to lower the fifths on the E9th or the Tonics on the B sixth I have made the Brumley a small up lever for the E9th and you have to move yourself over like you do on a double ten and I added that knee lever which gives you the Major seventh plus another knee lever that pulls those same strings which is like an F lever on the E9th which I learned from Buddy Emmons and also I added an up lever that makes a seventh "pulls the sixth string from a sixth to a Seventh, where now I have everything that a Double ten has except the lever that lowers the sixth string to an augmented, but I'm working on that, the Universal is quite a unique device, you also have the G on top and the D also on top,the second string when lowered by the E-lever which makes the sixth tuning

There are a lot of people around here that have figured out that if you tune to a D9th instead of an E9th you don't break as many strings and everything is much easier, "the pedals are much easier to push and the knee levers are much easier to push and the guitar just sounds better, it takes a bit of getting use to but is well worth it, the E chord is on the second fret, and now you have a D9th and an A6th but that is just something that is my own preference, anyhow if you want to know other thing about the 12 String Universal, just give me a haller.

I sold that MSA a long time ago and had a Zumsteel, sold that and now I have Mullen's, Jimmy Day used Mullen's before he passed, he had good taste and was one hell of a picker, thanks
Rich Cottle

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2018 3:53 pm     U/12?

Rich, I appreciate the u/12 info, but this ain’t my first rodeo with the universal.i played a lot of 12 universals different brands and liked them all. I just bought a d10 Sierra session so this can be
Closed....thanks jack....(I also played a 14/string BMI for 10 years with Julian tharpes tuning)