The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  B pedal not moving smoothly
Tuukka Ojala

Finland
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 10:52 am    

My WBS S10 (an older all-pull "Student 1") has developed a bit of a problem lately. The b pedal doesn't always come to rest at the "neutral" position when I release it. Often it stays pressed just enough to make the open notes sharp. This doesn't seem to be a case of overtuning the pull: whenever the pedal does get back up the strings are perfectly in tune.

To pinpoint the problem I tried disconnecting the pull rods from the b pedal cross shaft (hope I got that right; I mean the rotating aluminium pieces where the pull rod mounting brackets are attached). I tried turning the brackets by hand and the cross shaft turned very stiffly, much more so than the others which were buttery smooth in comparison.

Any idea what's going on with that? Are there some bushings which might be worn out? Is it possible to somehow lubricate that part? It looks like a really tight spot to me; it's as if there's almost no visible space at all between the cross shaft and the frame of the guitar.

I'd appreciate any tips you could give me. I just don't know where I would be with this instrument if not for this forum.

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 1:03 pm    

It sounds like the cross shaft is binding somehow. If you have everything disconnected from the bell cranks and the shaft itself is stiff that could be the reason. There should be no resistance moving the cross shaft.

Causes can be just the weather or humidity which can shrink and swell the case. I don't know much about the type of case you have but if it is wood, that could be the reason.

Check and see if you have any free play in the cross shaft from front to back of the guitar. There should be a small amount of "wiggle room" there as well.

I don't think it could be a bushing, but not being familiar with WBS guitars, I can only make general suggestions.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 1:23 pm    

I like to systematically isolate (or rule-out) problem sources.

In your place, I would not only disconnect the pedal rod and test the unhooked pedal for smooth motion, but I'd also disconnect the pull rods from the bell-cranks for the 3rd & 6th strings. That would allow me to manually test the isolated cross/shaft for binding. I'd then pull the disconnected 6th string pull rod by hand to determine if there is any binding at the changer finger.

Once you can isolate what is actually binding, you'll be better able to fix the problem.

Tuukka Ojala

Finland
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2018 11:54 am    

mtulbert wrote:
Check and see if you have any free play in the cross shaft from front to back of the guitar. There should be a small amount of "wiggle room" there as well.

Doesn't move at all from front to back. I guess it has to be binding somewhere then.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2018 12:21 pm    

Many steel have means to deal with binding cross shafts. Carters can move the rear apron, Fessendens can move the bushing, some guitars have a collar that can be adjusted. Photos would be EXTREMELY helpful.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 5:54 pm     B petal not moving smoothly

You have been given some good advise on this question. I put WBS Steel Guitars in a web search and they have a website on the internet. You can click on contact and an E-mail page will come up for you to send them a message.

I would contact them about your guitar and your problem and they may have had the problem before and can help you on clearing up the problem and get the guitar back to working properly. Good Luck on a cure, Happy Steelin.