The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  JAN (Sylvania) 12AX7WA tube in Rev?
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 7:45 am    

I recently purchased a Jan (Sylvania) 12AX7WA NOS tube along with some NOS 6X4WA tubes. All still in their original boxes dated 1969-70. I think these are military radio tubes? I like old barn sales!
There's not a lot of info on this particular 12AX7. Would this make a good V1 tube for the Revelation?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 10:41 am    

i don't know the revelation but if you are looking for clean headroom, you may want to try a 12at7,12ay7 or 5751. they have much less gain than the 12ax7.

play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 12:51 pm    

I have plenty of headroom. I'm looking for a little tone change. I'm looking for softer highs. Lows and mids are where I want it right now. If I move the treble control any lower, the mid frequency changes, then I'm exchanging a treble frequency for a mid frequency. Vari control changes all of it. Color control softens all of it.
Currently, V2 and V3 are a matched pair of NOS RCA 12AX7. V1 is an early 60's RCA 12AX7. I'm thinking the V1 needs a change.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 7:21 pm    

If you want tone in a 12ax7 a vintage Telefunken might get you there.

These are go-to in high class recording preamps like vintage Siemens V72's and modern Millennia STT.

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 7:26 pm    

Roll 'er in and listen. Like what you hear? Not too much hiss or microphonics? Leave it in. Otherwise, try plan B. Best answer I can come up with. Smile

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 8:12 pm    

Hey Dennis. Here lately I’ve been trying a lot of old tubes and so far my favorite is the Sylvania’s. My second choice is the Telefunken then the RCA. The Sylvania that I like is the long grey plate 12AX7WA from the 60’s. Simply gorgeous in my Custom Deluxe build.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 10:23 pm    

Chris, I put it in tonight. Way too much white noise, so it's coming out.
Randy, I've been watching your video progress on the amp project. Good to hear you've been experimenting with the old tubes. I have the V2 and V3 covered with the matching NOS RCA's. I have a pair of Sovtek 12AX7WA's that test ok. I'll try one. I have one Sylvania grey plate, but it's not a WA. I'll try it. If I don't get positive results with these, I'll track down a Sylvania WA grey plate.
The Telefunken is pricey for experimenting, but I'll use it as a last option.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 5:02 am    

I put a Sylvania 5751 triple mica vintage tube in my Sarno Tonic preamp. The 5751 is supposed to be a 12AX7 sub with a little less gain, but it sounds great.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 6:44 am    

Randy, By the way, are you still steeling with Womack? She would be so inspiring to back. I have a few of her CD's. Always loved her voice and the fact that she can belt out a 4/4 with feeling. But, she sings everything with feeling.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 6:52 am    

Tommy, where does one find a Sylvania 5751 for sale? Ebay?

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 7:36 am    

Yes,

in fact the very first Black Box prototype was developed around that Sylvania tube. In the Rev's V1 position, that IS the Black Box stage, so it's ideal there. Great tube.

B

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 8:55 am    

I just finished playing through my box of 12AX7 tubes. The Russian tubes were very brassy. China tubes very dry. I have a pair of old grey plate tubes with some yellow lettering on them that is nearly smudged off. I think Sylvania, but the grey plates on them have a wider raised channel down the plate (for lack of a technical term)compared to the one grey plate Sylvania with a narrower channel. I'm guessing those two are a later year of Sylvania? Conclusion: The single grey plate Sylvania stood out ahead of the rest. It had a silkier, more traditional tube tone and highs were much softer. It sounded better than the 60's RCA that I've been using in V1. So, now I'm headed to ebay to look for another old Sylvania with an identical grey plate. I like to have a spare for backup.
Thanks for all of the input.
Randy and Brad nailed it.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 1:03 pm    

Tom Wolverton wrote:
Tommy, where does one find a Sylvania 5751 for sale? Ebay?

Yes, took a chance on an Ebay seller with 100% positive feedback, selling off his father's collection. I've had good and bad experiences buying tubes on ebay, so buyer be ware.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 1:31 pm    

Brad Sarno wrote:
Yes,

in fact the very first Black Box prototype was developed around that Sylvania tube. In the Rev's V1 position, that IS the Black Box stage, so it's ideal there. Great tube.

B

Just to be clear, Brad is answering Dennis, and referring the to tube Dennis asked about. Not the one I mentioned. I hope I did not hijack the thread. And if I did, I apologize.

Dennis Anderson

Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 2:50 pm     sourcing Sylvania 12ax7 tubes

eBay can be very hit or miss when seeking nos tubes. I’ve had 100% success working with a fellow forum member - William Rasch. He was my source for two 1960’s nos sylvania 12ax7 tubes and two USA tung sol 1960’s 6L6WGB. All sounded superb! Highly recommended.

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 4:32 pm    

Hey Dennis, I’m playing for Joe Diffie. Started with him in June 2016.

The Telefunken was very big with more bass, more than any other tube I tried. While I really liked it I thought it was a little too heavy on the bass. The Sylvania’s I got off eBay we’re from Baldwin organs and have the Baldwin logo. When you think about it most of those 50 or so year old organs saw very little use and the tubes still test very strong if not like new. I found several under 20 bucks with shipping included.

I also look for a seller with a 100% seller rating. I had one bad RCA tube and the seller immediately sent a refund. I think it’s pretty safe dealing with them.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 5:39 pm    

I've gotten tons of old tubes from organs! Hammond used a lot of Amperex power tubes. Awesome in my stereo!
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps