The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lloyd Green ShoBud at TSGA
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 8:17 am    

Yes, 24 1/4.
Also of interest... I noticed that he rarely - if ever - palm blocks as he plays.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 8:18 am    

In one of Lloyds old stories in Dallas he told about how they used white tape to create extra Frets way up high on the neck, for an Intro lick he wanted to play, in-tune, right from the first note, which was beyond the fret-board.
I think it was a Johnny Paycheck song.
I am envisioning 60's style white/sticky medical tape???
...And then he played the Lick!!!... (and it was great!... and everyone in the place pretty much went nuts!)Smile

Last edited by Pete Burak on 17 Mar 2018 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 8:21 am    

Probably the intro to "JukeBox Charlie".
Funny... I once used model car pinstripe tape on an old Bud for a few extra frets.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 8:42 am    

NO; Lloyd's Scale on his LDG is 24 1/2", not 1/4.
That is how Shot had it built with a longer scale for Lloyd; but it was breaking strings(3rd string)too much and lloyd wanted that fixed; but not to change that long scale sustain/sound...so Paul Franklin Sr(maybe duane or david??)...came up with a shorter Gumby Headstock and that got rid of the string breakage and the overtone ringing of the prob. strings behind the rollers...yeehaa.
That fretboard was special made for just lloyd's LDG.
But sho~bud built regular 24" scale and regular gumby head...and so on, at that time. Ya'll need to stop comparing Lloyd's LDG to any other sho~bud...read my previous post; or read it again....ha.
Ricky

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 9:04 am    

Thanks, Ricky. I stand corrected. Interesting... I've seen a handful (and only a small handful) of Buds that have 24 1/4.
It always amazes me at how many different little things you can find on Buds...they're almost like snowflakes.
And yeah...Lloyd's gtr is certainly one of a kind. As is he...

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 9:16 am    

When Buddy Emmons and Ron Lashley started building the Emmons guitars, they experimented with different scale lengths.
They determined that 24 1/4" was the the longest scale length you could have without experiencing excessive string breakage.
That is the reason for Lloyd's shortened key head.
That is another advantage of keyless guitars. Without that extra string that you need to stretch beyond the roller nut, you can utilize a longer scale length without breaking strings.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 1:14 pm    

Erv; that all you just said is exactly what I learned from Paul Franklin Sr. years ago when I got to talk to him about a million things.....I'll never forget that 2 hour conversation. Great history.
Ricky

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 1:57 pm     Lloyd's Guitar

Ricky,

Lloyd is using a Bill Lawrence 710 on his guitar. Can you tell me the evolution of his pickups over time? I'm guessing he started out the the normal Sho-Bud single coil when the guitar was new, but in time found the 710 more to his liking. I wonder if the 710 just worked better for the studio??

Have you had any conversations with Lloyd on this topic?

By the way, are you using a 710 on your LDG?

Thanks,

Don

Last edited by Don Mogle on 17 Mar 2018 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 3:11 pm    

Hey Don; yes Lloyd always used the original Sho~bud Pickup until he found the Bill Lawrence 710 gave him NO HUM in the studio and that was the only change and reason.
I use the original Sho~bud Pickup rewound by Harry Jackson; live and in studio. I use a old ShoBud volume pedal with Allen Bradley Pot and found that if I never open the pot up more than 1/2 to 3/4 of the way; I get almost NO HUM...but turn my amp up for volume preference....So yes I record with single coil pickup; and believe me, if I had any noise at all especially on all the Richard Linklater movie sound tracks I recorded on; I would NOT BE ON the soundtrack.....but I am....so it can be done.
And yes I told Lloyd that and he considered it...but he didn't want to go through finding the right single coil pickup to work with what he hears and plays ...and that is way understandable.
Ricky

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2018 10:47 am    

Ricky Davis wrote:
That fretboard was special made for just lloyd's LDG.
But sho~bud built regular 24" scale and regular gumby head...and so on, at that time.
Ricky

As this thread reinforces Sho-Bud did do special things for certain people. I have an early Pro-III that actually has a 24 3/8" scale with short Key heads. It was made for Ray Garrett who was the Sho-Bud dealer in Richmond VA at the time. I'll post some photos of it in the next few weeks.