The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rickenbacher B6 Mid '40s
Kevin Weatherbee

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 9:21 am    

Mid '40's is my best guess. I felt comfortable with '46, but what do I know? Original hardshell case, everything is in good shape for 70+ years old. She's quite clean. Tuning buttons disintegrated long ago and were replaced with teak buttons. A new set from Stew Mac is less than $20, but these work fine. I'm guessing it's a 1.25" horseshoe, but I have no idea how to measure it. I just make the noise. She doesn't like cheap solid state amps, and didn't impress me on a Fender Pro Jr., but when I plugged it into a Fender Excelsior she sounded divine. I know where there's an old beat up Rick amp for sale nearby of similar vintage, maybe older. Papa needs a new banjo. Keeping the Magnatone lap just because - not that I know how to drive it - this banjo stuff makes my fingers do other things than they're supposed to with a lap. $1,250 plus shipping. viexile at yahoo dot com for non-members We're headed to the Caribbean (work) for 3 weeks tomorrow, so don't get wigged out if I don't get right back to you. They're still recovering from hurricanes and things . . . move . . . slow. I'll look into that old Rick amp in case anyone wants to track the guy down. I just remember she looked rough.

[/img]

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 3:59 pm     It's a 1.25"

Yup. It's a post-war P/U. 1.25" magnet.

Nice guitar. I've had a couple.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Kevin Weatherbee

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 5:51 am    

Not easy to date some of these things, and I've seen info that would (incorrectly, I believe) put it earlier than 1946. This one looks like it was pretty much a case queen, stashed in Maine under a bed for decades. I just need to sell and fill out the grandaughter's working gear collection. Papa already got the new banjo a couple weeks ago. I paid $1,000 for the Rick 5 years ago and simply want to get my money back out so the Commander doesn't get to use the "I told you so" routine. But she's pretty good about it all when its focused on the grandchildren. Their parents won't be wild about the latest Ludwig acquisition, though. And the Ddrum Jr. for the 2 year old.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 5:03 pm     Yup

You're right: It's not easy to date these. All we can say for sure is that it's not a "pre-war" Model B.

Beautiful guitar. Best of luck with it!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.