The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Great News for Folks Who Restore Rickenbacker Steels
Steve Wilson

Morgan Hill, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 12:49 pm    

I have to say fellow member George Piburn (GeorgeBoards) has hit it out of the park with this one. Through technology still a little over my head George has replicated the Bakelite bridges on Pre and Post War Rick Metal Body guitars (Silver Hawaiian, Model 59, NS/S). He has also painstakingly replicated the Bakelite bridge for post war B6 guitars.

The technology is 3D printing, and George has made the bridges in several compounds including Stainless Steel, Carbon Fiber, and one called PLA. Each has a different tonal character and hardness. I put the PLA bridge (the softest and most like Bakelite according to George) on my 45 NS and it fit perfectly. It is not slotted but the material can be cut with normal slotting tools. I chose not to slot it to see what type of indentation the strings would make on the ridge of the bridge. After loosening the strings and having a look, just the slightest indentation was visible. Just enough to get them in the right place next time, but not enough to sink into the bridge.

I felt the tone it produced was equal to the Bakelite. I really couldn't tell much difference. Perhaps a little brighter and clearer ringing with great harmonics. He says the other compounds are harder and perhaps brighter.

I applaud George for his commitment to the steel guitar world and Rickenbacker refurbishers and to folks looking to build their own instruments. If you are needing Rick bridges for your old overly slotted or broken bridges or next custom build, George is the man![img]

[/img]

Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 2:43 pm     Great news!

Wow - thanks for that info Steve!
That is fantastic news for all of us lefty's Shocked
Blank replacement bridges that can be cut to suit our needs Yippee!
Thank you very much George, congratulations - I'll be in touch. Cool

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 3:12 pm    

Great ! Good for George !! Those bridges do get hacked a bit when the grooves get filed/cut etc. I try to use no grooves, but sometimes they need them to make the strings level etc..

Maybe George will build a guitar with that process !! (if he hasn't already !)

Steve Wilson

Morgan Hill, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2018 9:40 am     Thanks Bill

Hey Bill Creller,
Thanks for your part in making this happen. I sent the post-war B6 Bakelite bridge I got from you (thank you!) to George for the replication. The NS bridge was from one of mine. Feels good to contribute! Now I need to get back to work on the Model 59 I was working on when all this came up.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2018 9:43 am    

Cool. Had no idea how this came about. Thank you!