The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  [B-to-Bb] + [G#-to-F#] Lick for S12U and also E9th:
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2018 9:20 am    

You know how if you are at an open chord, and you go back two frets with String-5 B-to-Bb, it gives you the 7th chord...
I noticed today that if I combine that String-5 B-to-Bb with the String-6 G#-to-F# as I go sliding back two frets from Open, it makes for a really nice sounding transition from Open, to a nice full 7th chord (as compared to two frets back with only B-to-Bb).
The reason I mention it for S12U is because many S12U setups allow string 6 to move in tune-able half-steps from F#, to G, to G#, to A. You could do this lick with just string-6, or string-6 and string-4, but I like all 3 strings ringing (4,5,6).

Here is the cool thing (maybe everyone else already knows this, but)...
While you are two frets back, you can now move the 6th string up (and/or down) a half step at a time using your 6th string splits. You can also go from lowest to highest available notes on string-6.

Here is an example, say the song is in G, and you are going to use this lick for the D/D7 chord change:
Playing Strings 4,5,6 of E9th for each step...
-Play an open D-chord at fret 10, strings 4,5,6.
-Slide back two frets to a D7th chord using B-to-Bb + G#-to-F#.
-Raise string-6 a half-tone using B-to-Bb + [G#-to-F# Split with the B-Pedal].
-Raise string-6 another half-tone using B-to-Bb (6th string is Open now).
-Raise string-6 another half-tone using B-to-Bb + B-pedal.
Now, on S12U, raise string-6 yet another half-step, this time release the B-to-Bb and use just Pedal-7!... the B6th pedal that raises strings 5 and 6 a full tone. You can even re-engage the G#-to-F# change as you move your foot from the B-pedal to P7, making the last string-6 note move from its lowest to highest available pitches.
On E9th, just slide back up 2-frets to Open, (and maybe add string 9 if you want a 7th flavor).
Nice!
You can use the lick in the opposite direction too!(6th string moving in descending half-steps).
I have found several variations using these changes in various combos.
For the One Big Tuning S12U guys, you can go two frets back from Open and get strings 5 and 6 moving from P7 to [B-to-Bb + G#-to-F#], while string 4 stays still.
You could also think of this position as the Five-7th chord position (V7), when the A+F position is the One chord.
Funn Stuff! Smile
Pete